Author Topic: Mulberry  (Read 5297 times)

Offline Ranger B

• Jimmy's Website
Mulberry
« on: June 17, 2010, 09:14:28 am »
I'm making my first bow from mulberry (Kids bow). You'll be able to see it because I am making a video of how to make a selfbow with it, but I'm not super happy with mulberry. Perhaps, it's just this stave but it's a lot softer than I expected. Tillering requires a lot of gentle work with this wood. Anyone else had similar experiences?

DCM4

Re: Mulberry
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 11:24:16 am »
I think comparisons to osage to it an injustice, more like hackberry.  That said, if you use enough wood it's excellent in my experience.  But you have to leverage it's low density, so I like a relaitively deep core but long design.  For a kids bow it should be excellent. 

The other problem I had with it was it did not seem to take heat bending too well.  I had a couple projects where it was the dickens to get the string to center.  On the other hand, I had some billets with 3" of reflex, and I never did get it out during the tillering... ;-)

One I made crushed the belly, but it was hick backed and deep cored and I just didn't get the ratio right.  Another blew at a knot, but I'd heated that son-ofa-gun there prolly 10 times and musta had the mc way low.

As with any wood, the specimen, that tree, makes a big difference too.  Kinda like osage, the density can vary a lot.

I really liked it, but it's tricky in terms of fit and finish, seemed to washboard at the ring transitions really bad.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 12:58:43 pm »
 The Mulberry I've gotten down here is a lot denser than a Piece I got in a trade from NC. It was light yellow, heavy and real nice growth rings. I had no trouble dry heat bending it either. The wood from NC was lighter and soft.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 05:03:10 pm »
mulberry is actually in the hickory family, every once in a while ya even get a bad piece of hickory, maybe just a poor stick, good luck with it
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Ranger B

• Jimmy's Website
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 07:15:12 pm »
I think it's a good stave I just expected it to be harder. I quickly realized that it was closer to hackberry. Bow is coming along okay so I've adapted  :)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 07:17:02 pm »
 jimmy, what I've used is hard to tell from Osage except the color is lighter.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline wodpow

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 08:01:27 pm »
Ive cut a nice big straight log thinking this is going to be fun, and split it and prepped it for drying after I took on down to 3/4 bow dimensions and let it dry then tillered to bending and to full draw.The belly fiber crushed on both limbs after about ten shots I just thought I did something wrong. and did the rest of the  staves extra wide 2" only to have the same thing  happen on all of them.It had dried for a good year and half.That wood looks a little like Osage  on the root, but that's It and it wood is yellow.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 09:20:14 pm »
mulberry is actually in the hickory family, every once in a while ya even get a bad piece of hickory, maybe just a poor stick, good luck with it
Actually they aren't even part of the same order much less family or tribe.

Osage is part of the Mulberry family.
Family: Moraceae
Tribe: Moreae

Unfortunately not all mulberry are equal. Red mulberry makes a good bow but white mulberry doesn't. Red and white will cross giving a inferior quality of wood.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2010, 09:59:08 pm »
All the times I've worked with mulberry I've been really happy with it, absolutely zero problems and a treat to work with. And heat-bends like butter. And that's the crappy NC red mulberry that Eddie is hatin' on. The last mulberry bow I made was a 62" ntn deep, stacked-belly longbow a fuzz over an inch wide that draws in the low 50's with very little set. You'' wind up with a little thicker limbs for the weight than you would with osage, but I class it as one of the better bow woods in my area.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Ranger B

• Jimmy's Website
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2010, 10:44:00 pm »
We're actually coming along nicely. Once I realized that I'd better take it easy and slow I did okay. Here is where we are.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2010, 11:07:19 pm »
Very nice bow, Jimmy! 
  I agree with Hillbilly. I have made quite a few mulberry bows and have been pleased with all of them. I have made bows from the heartwood, heartwood with a a few rings of sapwood on the back, 50/50 heartwood/sapwood and all sapwood and all came out well. The more sapwood you use the thicker the limb will be. I find adding about 10% length/width over the same design as osage works pretty good.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2010, 01:05:39 am »
very nice bow ranger he looks happy !, the mulberry i've worked with was good and the toasted belly really makes the grain stand out. i think the guy down here in valdosta that uses it all the time is murry gaskins , he has good luck with it

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2010, 07:29:30 am »
Looks good Jimmy,the smile says it all, That young man has been patient watching you,
now he can shoot. :) Squirrel's watch out.  ;) ;) Nice job. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline gmc

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2010, 08:18:44 am »
What a nice looking bow, but I can't get over the great form that youngster has pulling that bow. He's going to be tough later on...
Central Kentucky

Offline Ranger B

• Jimmy's Website
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2010, 08:40:39 am »
He does have great form. I hope he keeps paying attention and focusing like he has over the past year or so. He's been shooting since he was 3 y.o. and he's a pretty quick study.  If you haven't seen the video check him out.
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6Jg9t66gXQ/url]