Author Topic: HHB Question  (Read 10546 times)

Far East Archer

Re: HHB Question
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2010, 03:50:42 am »
Looks like the hop hornbeam we have here Ostrya japonica  .
Japanese species is having much red heartwood, you can see here http://blog-imgs-21.fc2.com/p/a/k/paktake/20080322195414.jpg

The density is around 0.60~0.73 so slight lighter weight than hickory.

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2010, 05:24:10 am »
Sailorday, for some reason the images you posted will not load on my computer.  grrrr  I'm having a similar issue with "supposed" hhb.  I asked a friend if he knew what ironwood look like, because it's good bow.  He said I have plenty on my farm and cut a tree for me.  I violate the back pealing the bark on the straightest stave.  I attempted to chase a ring and realize that was beyond my capabilities.  So, I grab the chain saw and did a quarter sawn section to use as a board bow.

Well, this stuff seems heavy and porous.  Heating take forever to get it hot to the touch.  It just seems to soak up the heat.  Once I had taken from the form it was straight.  A week later I bent it like floor tillering and it took an inch or better set.  This log was cut in Oct.  It has been in controlled enviroment with should have the moisture content between 6.5 and 9.5.

Like gmc, I'm really confused as to what I actually have and how to deal with it.  My thoughts are to back it with hickory and see what happens.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline gmc

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2010, 07:33:26 am »
Looks like the hop hornbeam we have here Ostrya japonica  .
Japanese species is having much red heartwood, you can see here http://blog-imgs-21.fc2.com/p/a/k/paktake/20080322195414.jpg

The density is around 0.60~0.73 so slight lighter weight than hickory.

That is interesting, my guess would be around .60 for this wood as the Hickory normally runs in the low seventies here locally. Thanks for the response.
Central Kentucky

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2010, 10:00:37 am »
What you have there looks more like Elm, at least from the bark, but it doesn't split like Elm.  Certainly not HHB
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline PatM

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2010, 11:49:33 am »
Looks exactly like Elm. Probably Red Elm. Your tree expert is not an expert at all. The bark is not even close to HHB. Elm and HHB leaves have a fair amount of similarity.

Offline fusizoli

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2010, 11:59:35 am »
Looking elm to me. Nice clean stave, may a bit too much ring. Take care with sap wood, it schould need some backing if too much early wood in it (?)

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2010, 02:23:29 pm »
Here's pics of the ironwood, HHB ?? a friend cut for me.  Is it HHB.  Sorry I don't have any leaves

[attachment deleted by admin]
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Dean Marlow

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2010, 05:14:53 pm »
hedgeapple the tree on the left is Hackberry. I don't know what thr right log is exactly. I think I got a piece of HHB out in the shop. I will try and post a picture of it. Dean

Offline Dean Marlow

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2010, 07:17:22 pm »
Here are some pics of HHB I have here in West Central Illinois. Sorry I don't have pictures of the bark but you can see by the narrow growth rings it grows real slow here. There was no chasing a ring with the 2 bows I made out of it. Take the bark off and that is the back. It is a creamy white color and sometimes there will be a little darker wood towards the middle of the log. It is a top whitewood for bows if you can find some that will split out half way straight.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline gmc

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2010, 07:47:13 pm »
This is downright embarrassing. I'm so confused right now I'm not even sure about the Bradford Pear in the front yard.  ::)

Dang it, Hedgeapple, that tree on the right is a beach  >:D. Do I need to borrow that book and come over there to confirm it.  ;D

Thanks again for the all pictures and help guys. This red elm or whatever it is will try to touch its toes shortly. 

« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 08:02:17 pm by gmc »
Central Kentucky

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2010, 08:03:40 pm »
Guys the "two" trees in my photo are the same tree.  The one of the left is the lower section of the trunk and the one one of the right is the section just above it.  They both come for the same tree.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline sailordad

« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2010, 10:39:47 pm »
i agree hackberry
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2010, 10:40:55 pm »
You can tell that the wood is ring porous and that disqualifies HHB.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2010, 08:20:55 am »
The trees in the picture,standing are Hackberry,I am sure of that and the last pictures are what all the IW. I have worked with look like,the first pictures ,I agree look like some kind of elm,But not IW.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline denny

• my site
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2010, 11:23:44 am »
Well I agree with pat and pappy, It is red elm. I presently have several staves on hand,  that is what it looks like to me, However it somewhat looks like black walnut, except for the dark red hue.Then Again you would have known that for the nuts at the base of the tree. O:)I have several hhb staves and have worked with it several times. I think it is the hardest wood to build a bow from, But ooh what a beauty it is when you get one completed. By the way I fine red elm a lot like black cherry , and all the ones i built needed backed. It is a light wood, but is quite fast. A real pretty bow tho. Hhb needs no backing and i use the sap wood for looks too.I might add it seems to twist easy. My 2 cents. Denny