Author Topic: limb design discussion (revisited im sure)  (Read 6486 times)

Offline 4est Trekker

Re: limb design discussion (revisited im sure)
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2010, 01:41:56 pm »
Not to derail the thread from its original intent.  But, in response to sailordad's post:

I've struggled with the accepted "definitions" and criteria that determines what an ELB is.  Let's assume that a particular bow meets all the criteria for an ELB except one, and that being the one you commented on (that the bow must be at least "man tall").  Let's assume said bow is 72 inches in length.  This bow would be an ELB in the hands of a 70" tall archer but would no longer be an ELB in the hands of a 76" archer.  The bow didn't change, but its classification did.  Seems ridiculous to me to measure something with a standard that isn't fixed.  You can argue til you're blue in the face about what makes an bow an ELB, but it's futile. 

GPW: backed ERC are snappy shooters, aren't they?  I, too, like them 70-72 inches tall and D shape in cross section.  The design is very forgiving shooting inaccuracies and look (and smell) great.

Now to the original post:  I agree that the pyramid is a fantastically efficient, sweet drawing, easy to tiller, high-cast-potential design that works well given the right wood.  Yet I agree with Jawge in that you can't always get the bow you want out of a piece of wood due to its specific gravity, width, length, crown, etc.  Nonetheless, I've made many pyramid bows and teach bow building classes where students build a pyramid board bow in a day.  The design is not only a great teaching tool, it produces a respectable weapon.

God Bless <><
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 02:05:33 pm by 4est Trekker »
"Walk softly, and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline gpw

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2010, 01:55:35 pm »
 Cosmically , those "rules" mean very little those of us just seeking a little friendly discussion and a bit of Fun ...    If this Forum has become so RIGID and uncongenial to those motives , then I'll be moving on ...  ( cheaper than trying to get 3" cut off my spine to be "legal" )   I've been doing this stuff all my 62 years , nothing new , just wanted to share my experiences...  :-\
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 01:59:08 pm by gpw »

Offline aero86

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2010, 02:36:40 pm »
pyramid bows seem to be the only thing i can make decently.. 
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2010, 11:50:47 pm »
gpw i've never been much on rules,or fittin in , and im sure i dont make "proper bows" but they blow my skirt up and thats all that matters

Offline 4est Trekker

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2010, 11:58:11 pm »
Well said, ken75! :)
"Walk softly, and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline okiecountryboy

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2010, 01:47:14 am »
okie, the limbs on a pyramid should start bending right out of the fades. The tiller should appear circular. Yes, the inner third should bend more than the outer third. Be careful you don't cause a hinge out of the fade though. Jawge

Thanks Jawge.
Always very carefull about hinges nowadays, created more than one getting in a hurry. But one more question.....Have you ever (anyone chime in please) made one (pyramid) as short as 48-52"? I'm wanting to go real compact and stealthy. As I said earlier in this thread, more like a horse bow. I know I will have to narrow the width a bit ;D. Looking for 26-27" draw @ 45-50#.
Any suggestions from my PA family? Don't care how tall ya are ;D ::) ;D ;)

Thanks as always

God Bless
Ron
God, honor, country, bows, and guns.

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2010, 02:49:09 am »
Im working on a 48" shorty right now...I didnt choose pyramid though because its red oak and my max width is only 1.5.

I've made a 48" pyramid though...sweet to draw with no stack out to 25"...its only around 30 lbs at that weight though.

Offline ken75

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2010, 12:15:41 am »
okie 56 tip to tip is as short as ive gone , but i aint saying it wont work , just post some pics if you make it ... or break it !!

Offline bubby

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2010, 02:23:13 am »
okie, check out some of half eye's post's, he build's some short hunting weight bows, purty close to your draw length
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Kegan

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2010, 06:38:02 pm »
I'm with you, 66" ntn pyramid bows are definately some of th nicest, sweetest, simplest bows to build. I think the biggest thing is they perform so well for less work. Actually, looking at some of the fastest selfbows made by Badger, Tim Baker, Marc St. Louis, et al. you notice that their flatbows do bear almost pyramid like profiles, keeping set on the inner limbs low, wide enough at mid limb to keep set and mass low, and tips light (though stiff, rather than bendy like a true pyramid or whatever).

Offline ken75

« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2010, 12:16:08 am »
thanks for the comments everyone , kegan ive seen yours , nice bows

Offline Dave 55

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2010, 07:56:15 pm »
GPW you could give your bow to me ,it would be over my head making it an elb  :D
Now is the good old days

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2010, 12:04:16 pm »
I'm not one for rules either, as far as i'm concerned if a string holds two ends of a stick together it is a bow...but, there really isn't a set length of ELB's as far as i know, the only real "rules" that i know of are that the cross section should be the same shape throughout the bow, even at the handle (no narrowed handle or fades), and that it should be stacked, i.e. "5/8" rule.

From Robert Hardy's book Longbow, "The length between nocks, measured along the back of the bow, shall not be less than 5 feet for arrows up to 26 inches long, and not less than 5 ft 6 inches for arrows over 26 inches long."  Those are short bows!

I think medieval bowyers were much more flexible in bow design than what we think from watching Robin Hood. If they had had a "short" stave i doubt they would have thrown it in the firewood pile.   
45# at 27"

Offline dwardo

« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2010, 12:39:09 pm »
I have never made a bow from a board so i very rarely get to choose the design.  >:(
I just keep making bows until i get the one i want, then i shoot it some and give it away and have to make another  ;D

I dont tend to come across timber that is upto the full ELB kind of dimensions that wouldnt chrystal or take loads of set making the cast wubbish. That and the fact my preferred weight is sub 55lbs,, more like 45 so the flatter limb bow just seems to work for me.