Author Topic: Osage Rings Too Close???  (Read 2291 times)

Offline Scrub_buck

Osage Rings Too Close???
« on: June 27, 2010, 08:33:43 pm »
Started working on a osage stave today I cut back in Feb.  I split it and left the bark on back then waiting for a good and smouldering June day to work off the bark and sapwood.

The rings are close on the upper end, but still the summer growth is wider than the spring ring.  I think I'm going to be OK with this one, but wanted to poll the audience.  The rings on the butt end, of course are wider and look lots better.

I think its got 12 pin knots along the back.  Its not the cleanest piece of wood, but I still should be OK.  I think I am going to be conservative around the rings and leave an extra layer of wood around each one from my target back.

All my other attemps have been d-bows.  Due to a horrid ring of pin knots about 3 inches from the butt end, I had to shorten it up to 64".  Think I can get a 62" d-bow from it, or should I try a bend through the handle bow?  All my other ones have had a non-working handle.  BTW:  I draw 27.5 inches.  

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Scrub_buck

Re: Osage Rings Too Close???
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 08:42:49 pm »
I think any of these 3 rings look to be the best for the target back ... still leaving me a good bit of wood to work into the handle.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 09:06:15 pm »
  The lower rings look better for bow making. Maybe try to split off a piggy back for your "D" bow and use the top half either split down the middle or make a conservative bow from the best part of it. There are some good rings in about the middle that would make a good back for the bottom split.
  If the knots worry you add a silk or rawhide backing.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Scrub_buck

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 01:54:30 am »
Ah 1, ah 2, ... ah 1, 2, 3, 4

Getting it down to the summer ring directly above the ring I have targeted for the back.  The stave isn't dry well enough to get real serious yet ... hopefully a good glue sealer on it will keep any major checking from happening.

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 09:52:00 am »
Looking good so far Scrub.
That stave should make a fine bow.
Yes. it most definitely will need a sealer on the back and ends.  It cant be dry yet.

I cant believe your wife lets you work on bows in the living room.

Question: Is that a hot coal in the fireplace???????  If you are cold just go outside :D

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline Scrub_buck

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 03:19:54 pm »
Yes, she's a heck-uva- gal!  She takes pity on my when its 90+ degrees in the garage.  I just have to clean up my mess ASAP once I am finished.  I work fairly slow, so there's not a chip pile 3 feet high or anything like that when I was done!

I think that might be an earplug that my 3YO son threw in there earlier in the day.  It does look like a coal though!!!

Sandy

Offline Postman

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 05:10:32 pm »
looks like a good stave - good luck! - I would try for the thicker rings, but it looks pretty clean where you are.
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2010, 01:15:40 pm »
Those rings are pretty even, I'd just start at the top and quit when you get a nicely followed ring...so that's about 5 down then ::) >:D.
BTW Ignore this post, I've never used Osage... I'm just going on my experience with Yew.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.