Author Topic: Being a Bachelor  (Read 6634 times)

Offline Badger

Being a Bachelor
« on: June 30, 2010, 05:04:33 am »
      Obviously I would never encourage anyone to get a divorce but if life deals you that hand as it has me I have to say it aint all that bad. I came home tonight and turned on my shower, just a trickle at first to give my pet daddy long legs time to crawl out of the way, I think he has lived in my shower for at least a year now and has a leg spread of close to 4", last time my girl friend came to live with me she killed my pet spider within hours of moving in. After I took my shower I fed my cat, I have to give him 2 cans now because we have a raccoon and an oppussum that come though the doggy door for dinner each night. They usually weight till I am asleep but I often will open my eyes and see them munching away ignoring both me and the cat.
      Whatever project I may be working on will be sitting on my kitchen table when I get home ready for me to work on when I get ready. If I want to go someplace for one day or a week I just go. My house is my man cave. Even cooking is more fun. I can add all the hot sause I want and instead of all those little plastic storage containers I just put the whole pan in the fridge. I was married for twentyfive years and have been single now for 15, the first year was the lonliest of my life, the second I was starting to adjust and by the third year I thought I had died and gone to heaven. If you are in your late forties or fifties don't think for a minute women will be hard to find,
I do think about growing old alone sometimes but maybe that just means I will die peacefully! So if you happen to find yourself in this situation cheer up! It may not be as bad as you think. Steve

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Being a Bachelor
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 07:06:13 am »
It's a wise man who can appreciate his situation what ever it may be, get on with life and enjoy it.
Man cave, yup...I have to go hide out in the garage
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 07:48:58 am »
I only get a couple of days a week of that kind of living,when I am at the cabin.Even there she has to come in every few months and clean and straighten,takes me a week or 2 after that to get it back like I like it. ;) :) :) Sounds like you have adjusted good to you situation.  :) :) Sounds like you have no excuse for not coming to TN. and visit sometime. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline cracker

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 07:50:58 am »
Badger a lot of wisdom has been spoken in your post I only wish mine would leave with another man. There is much to be said for being the only one in the house when you put something down and go look for it it's there and not shoved in some cubby hole if you want to leave you're socks on the coffee table thats o k too. Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

DCM4

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 10:37:24 am »
I didn't marry till I was 27.  Been married 20, kid is 15.  They went to Paris together for two weeks, just got back last Wednesday.  The first night I though I was gonna go crazy.   By the last night I was pretty much into my routine.  On balance I reckon a fellar ought to be able to be happy all by himself, and if so it makes a marriage all that much sweeter, especially if his spouse is similar.  If fate put me in that spot, unlikely as it is, I'd be fine without my family.  But I'd not trade them for nothing, including life itself, if such were offered.

Offline aero86

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 10:42:54 am »
ive been divorced for 4 years now.  i dont know if ill ever get married again.  ive two kids from the marriage as well, that i have custody of, so i dont need to have anymore!
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Badger

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 11:22:28 am »
    Even though I have to admit that I really do enjoy life today my fondest memories are watching the kids grow up. I had a good wife but used to nag a bit too much and I was a pretty good husband but used to spend a bit too much time with my friends and hobbies. She ended up doing much worse than me and I ended up doing worse than her, LOL. Retirement is right around the corner now and I find myself reflecting on things much more. I think the biggest challenge some men have is to keep their woman entertained, my logic has always been that I never get bored, too many things right here in my own backyard that I enjoy doing. Thats not good enough for some woman or men for that matter. Trips to Vegas, expensive dinners and movies every weekend, vacations etc only solve the problem for that one day. Then you are left paying the bills and the boredom is still there. I made a bucket list after I divorced and I am still working on it. Making a bow and arrow was on my bucket list as was having a big garden. Not one thing on my bucket list cost a lot of money and not one thing requires that I be single. But they do all require attention and time.
lately I have been getting more and more pressure from a girlfriend to make a commitment and spend more time with her. I feel myself just wanting to run away. Not fair to her and not fair to me.
Really hard to stay true to myself sometimes. Steve

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 12:00:11 pm »
Thanks steve,
I needed to see the other side of the coin right now. Your timing on this post worked out well for me. 

I like this post as it is about making the best of whatever life hands you.
wade
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 12:22:12 pm by n2everythg »
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2010, 03:42:37 pm »
Sadly, the status quo is never good enough for some people (women).  I hope your girlfriend comes around and realizes you're both happy (I hope she is), and lets things continue under the existing rules of (non)engagement.

My wife has moved out (just over a month ago), and while I'm occassionally lonely and depressed, I also see a whole world of choices ahead of me that would be ridiculous to consider within the marriage.  I'm moving to the country, have secured a few acres on a lake, am planning my garden and orchard, my hunting, my chicken coop; my creative impulses can flourish unfettered by the debt of new shoes and hollow (expensive) entertainments.  I am debt free and intend to live quite happily and beholden to none. Except the wiener dog.

Now if only I can find a woman (independently wealthy) to share this with...  How's that for a long shot?
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2010, 10:02:38 pm »
The transition to being a family man was tough for me, but couldn't imagine it different now. I do not miss my bachelor days at all!
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2010, 10:19:02 pm »
Glad that You are Happier Badger...I am once Divorced...and remarried again now for 27 years...about lost Her 4 years ago to Colon Cancer and then again to My Stupidity a year ago last Christmas...and I didn't know what I would have done without Her either time....I guess I am not as tough as some...I need my Woman......... :-[
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2010, 11:55:24 pm »
Good thread Steve.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2010, 11:58:06 pm »
 I'd have to say I'm good. The wife I have is a keeper. We're going on 34 years and she still lets me play with hide glue and sinew at the dining room table.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2010, 01:32:15 am »
.......Just put the pan in the fridge ! :D :D :D :D ..Love it !!!!

Can't live with them, can't live without them.

Manny, happily single ;D
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline Mudd

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2010, 08:07:07 am »
Interesting read!

Thanks for the thought provoking insights.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
God bless
Roy L"Mudd" Williams