Author Topic: In Kentucky And need Advice  (Read 1182 times)

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
In Kentucky And need Advice
« on: July 03, 2010, 01:33:30 am »
 Up in sumerset ,KY to visit my parents :). They live on Lake Cumberland. Where is the best place to start looking for rock ???? We'll be in a boat (aluminum bass boat) 25hm motor. Would like to find some blue to bring back for Bill Skinner ;). A little payback for the help he's given us.  8)Any help will be greatly appriciated. Got the boat to get it back to the truck and the truck to get it home. Now all I have to find is some to put in the boat to put in the truck
 Thanks for the help my friends ;D
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline Bill Skinner

Re: In Kentucky And need Advice
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 12:02:52 am »
Thanks for thinking about me but hang on to what you find.  You are at the tonnage stage, you know what you want to do but you need practice.  You got to hit lots of rocks, and you will need all you can get your hands on.  I look forward to seeing you in August at Tannehill.  Bill

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 12:30:06 am »
 Get a hold of sawfiler.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 02:12:37 pm »
A lot of the area around Somerset is mostly Pennsylvanian sandstone from what I've seen-no chert. But the Mississippian limestone formation is right under the sandstone, so if you can fine some exposed limestone formations, you can probably find chert. Around the lake might be a good spot to try. I looked around the upper end of the lake around the Rockcastle River arm once, but all the bedrock around there was still sandstone.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 08:57:29 am »
 Got some stone but not sure if it will work, even if I cook it.  I'll post some pics tonight if I get home in time, and let y'all give me your advice.Found a few pieces of blue bit not anythong worth playing with.(very small) Look forward to it too Bill :)
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2