Author Topic: wher to get good elm board for heavy ELB.  (Read 2006 times)

bearclawscar

wher to get good elm board for heavy ELB.
« on: July 09, 2010, 11:08:29 am »
Hay yaw,would anyone of you guys know witch way to stear me to find a good elm board  for 3 or 4  heavy ELB's? Something like a 2X8X75" board,that is if such a creachter even exists! and dont cost moren the national deffaset.heck,id even settle for a 2x6 or 2x4.See,i never built a rounded belly boneyfied ELB.i have built about 100 or so flat bows but never succeded with a ELB.ive tryed 3 times and every time came under weight.i mean not enough draw weight to hunt flys leagely!Im wanting to get at least 2 chances,ya know,a board i can get 2 or more 1 1/4" wide staves out of.i want at least 70-75#@30".so i figgure 75"long 1 1/4 wide will get me that safely with something like a canvas backing with tightbond.thank yall for your help

mikki

Offline denny

• my site
Re: wher to get good elm board for heavy ELB.
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 02:46:15 pm »
Some might argue , But red elm is  a light wood and would require a good backing for a 70 or 75 lb. bow. I do have some and have built some pretty bows out of it. But you might get 55 or 60 lb out of 1 1/4 , but I would size it up. You might want 1 1/2" to 1/2"@ tip for that kinda weight . Unless you bamboo it or use hickory backing. Hey Just my oppinion Base on my expierence. It would cost probably more to ship,than it would be for the material.Of course that depends on where you live. Good Luck Denny