Author Topic: Stave with heartwood splits  (Read 2187 times)

Offline petew

• Peteward.com
Stave with heartwood splits
« on: July 08, 2010, 09:11:24 pm »
I have some sealed HHB staves that were split on a band saw they day they were cut down and given to me. They have some drying splits in the heartwood that I am concerned about.
 Should I run them down the bandsaw to remove these cracks before they grow any larger and get into the parts that will be used in the finished bow? If I trim off the cracking should I seal the whole stave? or let the belly stay open to the air?
Now the whole stave is sealed with an Oil finish and the back and ends look fine.
They were cut a month ago and are still very wet.
 Pete
share your knowledge and ideas

Offline yazoo

Re: Stave with heartwood splits
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 11:30:24 pm »
I would try to trim off the cracks, then seal the belly with shellac,,cracks are formed when the mosture comes out uneven,, a coat of shellac will still let the mosture out but keep them from checking,,and staves are sawn on a bandsaw,, they are split with a hammer and wedges,,  my computer finally back up and running been down for a month,, but I am back now,, mike
if you can shoot over them , they ain't to far

Offline petew

• Peteward.com
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 11:51:58 pm »
Thanks, I will do some triming. These were sawn  into staves before I ever saw them. If they had been split I think they would have had  an easier time sheding the moisture, and possibly stayed in better shape.

Pete
share your knowledge and ideas

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 06:43:34 am »
I agree split drys better with less check,at least they have for me, I would just what you was talking about doing.Good to have you back Yazoo,see ya in a few days. ;)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline denny

• my site
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 03:10:23 pm »
Yes trim and shelac. Denny