Author Topic: Shortwave radio listening  (Read 2398 times)

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
Shortwave radio listening
« on: July 11, 2010, 05:06:27 pm »
Any of you geezers or geezers-in-training listen to SW? I'm thinking of buying a radio and could use some advice. Answer here or PM me. Thanks, piper

Offline Diligence

Re: Shortwave radio listening
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 11:50:08 pm »
I used to listen to SW back in the early 80's.  I found it by accident on an ancient JVC ghetto blaster I had.  Ran about 30' of snare wire around my room as an antenna.  Used to hear all kinds of neat stuff bouncing over the arctic and down to my place.......no SW since then, but it was a neat memory you brought up for me.
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Offline islandpiper

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 11:58:23 pm »
Dang, the scary part is that the early 80's just seems like yesterday.    I remember my Dad referring to the 1930's the same way.   hmmmm

thanks for the story.  I want to hear what the rest of the world is REALLY  saying about issues without it being "filtered" by the American media. 

piper

Offline jeff halfrack

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 04:56:04 pm »
  I  love  it!!!   try  C.Crane  radio.com   I  bought  a   sangean,   505  ( I think thats  the  model )  it's a  small  portable  w/big  power,  they  used  to  offer it  in an  unlocked tuner I wish  I  opted for  that  but  it's  a  great  radio,  also  a  grundig  radio is  hard  to  beat  The  head phone  jack  is  stereo  great  sound!!!  I  also  have  a  Lafayette  tube job  a bunch of  others  geeze!  don't  get  me  started!    73's  to  you  happy  dx'ing  Jw

Offline Jesse

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 12:25:33 am »
I still have the same panasonic short wave we had when I was a kid. I take it out every few years and listen to wierd stuff. I might have to take it out again now. Thanks
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline islandpiper

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 02:41:12 pm »
Got the new radio yesterday, a Sangean AT 909.   Stayed up waaaaay too late last night listening to talker i could not understand, but marveling at the miracle of it all.  The high point was the music an lady announcer on Radio Havanah Cuba.  She spoke way better English than most of the DJ's on American stations!!  And, the music was pleasant , too.  I'll have to rig some sort of better antenna and drink more coffee. 

piper