Author Topic: "asian" arrows..  (Read 3995 times)

Offline aero86

"asian" arrows..
« on: July 21, 2010, 07:57:35 pm »
does anyone have any specifics on a few?  or is it just using bamboo or cane?  i found a bit of info on one site saying they used bamboo with just 3 nodes in the arrow and a nock insert.  anyone have any other info?
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

half eye

Re: "asian" arrows..
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 12:41:51 am »
aero,
     Here are some photos of asiatic type arrows, they are from the Grayson Collection. The Chineese and Tartar and others are wood shafted....only the Mougal (India) and the Korean shafts are described as "reed". It's my understanding that most (not all) asiactic arrows had various forms of "parabolic" shaped fletch. The other thing of note is the heads.....most were hafted with sinew, and then that was covered with cherry bark, paper, or lacquer.
    Here's the photos....hope it helps ya some.
rich

[attachment deleted by admin]

half eye

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 12:43:03 am »
here are a few more
rich

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 12:47:53 am »
Cool pics, Rich.  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 12:58:52 am »
I can't recommend strongly enough that all of you go out and get that copy of the Charles Grayson Collection coffee table book.  The photos are outstanding, and the detail is incredible.  They seem to spend an inordinate amount of time on their Asian/Persian/Hindi section as compared to the almost nonexistant North American stuff, but that is just one grouchy ol' so-n-so's opinion.

The Asians/Persians/Hindi put extreme amounts of ultrafine detail into their arrows, the Mughal period was known for the extraordinary level of workmanship and decoration.  But then again, what is shown in the book with all that finery and frippery were the arrows of the nobility.  Stuff that was made, displayed, stored, and handed down.  The few examples of actual war arrows and hunting arrows are more down to earth in decoration, but still pretty high levels of workmanship.  Examples are harder to come by because they flat got used up
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline aero86

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 01:03:24 am »
thats some very good info and pics!  im looking to get a "horse bow"  soon and id like to make a couple arrows related to the style, just cause..
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Scowler

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 10:10:25 am »
Check out the ATARN (Asian Traditional Archery Network) site.