Author Topic: ideal poundage for whitetail?  (Read 13047 times)

Offline Thwackaddict

Re: ideal poundage for whitetail?
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2010, 09:01:00 am »
Not a bad idea at all,you owe it to the animal to make a quick humane kill,if you dont think you can produce an efficient head and or arrow,go with what you got and in the meantime work on makin a good setup,practice makes perfect.
Hello everyone.My name is Randy and I am addicted to THWACK!!

Southwest,VA

Offline Kegan

« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2010, 04:54:18 pm »
Glad you guys completely misinterpreted my post. All I'm saying is that you could have a heavy draw weight bow but if it shoots super slow then the weight doesn't matter. I'm not saying that you have to have a ton of speed to kill but you have to get the arrow to the target.

I agree 110%. I had an 85# sinew backed white oak bow that shot well at first, but some flaws in the stave left it with 3" of string follow on the top limb. After the humidity got to it, it shot slower than several of the 60-65# bows I had made afterwards. Slower, more shock, and alot harder to hit anything with it :P

As for using carbons, there's nothing wrong with it. I finally learned how to make good wooden arrows and trade points and just decided I wanted to work more on bows and shooting than arrows, so switched to the evil store bought sticks anyway ;).

Offline Postman

« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2010, 09:49:41 pm »
I think Rick Tro.'s point is excellent -  i can shoot a 70# bow comfortably now, after being in the AC all afternoon.  In December when I'm trying to get that last-ditch trad kill hidden in a blowdown in a ton of clothes, I probably couldn't hit an elephant at 20 yards with it.

yah i totalsly agree the thing im pretty querry on is the fact that ive never built an arrow or broadheasd i wanna go all primitive and all when im in the stand but for my first bow hunt seing as i dont think i will be able to make a good enough arrow an sharp enough point in just a few months would it be a bad idea to just go with a carbon that matched my bow and a nice 4 blade broad head

No need to go "all in" in your first year  ;D  confidence in your hunting setup is key.  I think lots of us on here used wheelie arrows to start.

Get some cheap old aluminums (or woodies) at a yard sale, or internet and spend the summer killing them with stump shots. When they break an inch down, or bend, ducttape a bolt in the hole, kinda staighten, and torture them some more!  THEN get your war arrows out and practice with them before hunting season.
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA