Author Topic: Removing the scales from a rattlesnake skin backing  (Read 2724 times)

Offline ohiocountryboy

Removing the scales from a rattlesnake skin backing
« on: April 28, 2013, 02:27:56 am »
I'm finishing up this bow that I backed with rattlesnake skin over sinew. Man it looks incredible  I especially like the look of the scales on there this is my first time working with snakeskin is there anything I can do to it to be able to keep the scales on there?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 02:36:53 am by ohiocountryboy »

Offline JonW

Re: Removing the scales from a rattlesnake skin backing
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 02:31:15 am »
several coats of spray poly has worked for me. Just don't rub "against" the scales

Offline Granite Mtn

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 02:55:03 am »
You have to remove the scale the bow will still look cool!  I use a giant gum rubber block used to clean sanding belts always working with the scales think head to tail make sure to get them all off or they will pop loose under your finish and become cloudy!  I put about four or five coats of minwax quick dry poly wiped on with a rag in thin coats and sanded very carefully between the coats with very fine sand paper like 400 and 600.  You want to harden up the skin and sand the roughness out not sand through the skin.  Do not build up to much finish or it will crack over time.  A well finished snakeskin backed bow won't crack!  It is not easy but worth the extra effort.  I then spray a coat of gloss thin over entire bow sign it then one coat of satin all minwax.  I have tried try oil spar varnish catalized varnish epoxy thinned Masey finish and this method is the best I have found in twenty years!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 09:03:49 am »
If you like it now, wait til they come off and you seal it. You will really like them. Scales are nasty and will just find there way to the ground over time. That will make for a spotty bow. I use duct tape to remove scales. Lay it down the whole limb and use two fingers to rub it down, dont be shy pushing down. Once thats done grab the "head" end and gently pull the tape upand back. Nearly all the scales will come off in one swipe. You HAVE to pull with the scales, not against. If you go against the scales you will lift bits of skin all over and it will be very rough and nasty.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 11:59:46 am »
The scales on a shake are dead skin. They should be removed or they can discolor later.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 12:24:51 am »
   PATS right also loseing and beening of the bow will make any finish crack up with time.
  I just use masking tape or duck tape. Remove tape towards the tip of the scales. Stray with polly and still wood. I use'ly do 2 coats. Let completely dry befween.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING