Author Topic: Adena !  (Read 1606 times)

Offline AncientArcher76

Adena !
« on: July 26, 2010, 12:52:34 am »
Well got off of work at 10pm was a bit tired but wanted to see how well that Esopus flakes.  I used a 5 inch turtleback chunk and was amazed that it worked so well.  I cant wait to knapp it out in the sun so I can se things better.  I want to make a knife or 2 since knifes are popular this week...I did spall one of the big chunks and took off some massive thin flakes.  some being 8 inches by 5 inches...hey thats massive for the size of the rocks I collected.  I gotta get back to the river soon it was all merky from a recent storm.  Thanks for looking!

Russ

[attachment deleted by admin]
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline chasing crow

Re: Adena !
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 07:08:42 am »
Archer, That sure looks purty to me. Nice point!
We know more than we think we do. Pass your knowledge on to our youth

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 09:03:42 am »
Nice one Russ! That looks authentic. Them do sound like some masssive spalls, wish I could get some that size outa some perd..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 01:25:28 pm »
It wasnt my best point but Im impressed on how I was able to flatten out a bad turtleback and produce something.  Mike Santiago showed me that technique...

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 06:10:57 pm »
Russ looks as if you an your new material  are hitting it off, I like how the esopus looks, real authentic looking, nice job. Later bob

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 08:37:31 pm »
I have some set aside for u Bob!!!! :-*

Russ ;D

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 11:01:30 pm »
 That is sweet. What kinda rock is that?
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 12:09:37 am »
Esopus Eddie.  I forget there was a long strung out war with a local tribe called the Esopus indians...  local stuff is always cool.  I have found points made from this stuff when I was younger.  It does flake real well but Im not sure where it rates on the scale for hardness.  Again NY stuff isnt known for its easyness...  Eddie would u like a piece or 2 PM me???

Russell

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 10:09:59 am »
great work russ
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct