Author Topic: Minimum width flatbow  (Read 6008 times)

Offline northvtarcher

Minimum width flatbow
« on: July 29, 2010, 01:39:00 am »
Hey everybody. I'm pretty new at bow making and was hoping to get some insight.  If you wanted to make a D style flatbow around say 45#@26 around 68" how narrow could your limbs be?

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: Minimum width flatbow
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 01:49:42 am »
Welcome to PA!!!  :) It really all depends on the kind of wood you are using.  I have a hickory backed ipe laminate bow I built last year that is 7/8ths of an inch wide at it's widest point, and i also have a red oak board bow I built that is around 2 inches wide at its widest point.  Maybe someone who makes more d bows will chime in with a better answer.  :)  Good luck to ya, can't wait to see one of your bows!  :)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 02:01:37 am by Josh »
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline northvtarcher

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 02:07:30 am »
What I have right now are some white ash staves about 72" long that I cut from a friends property about 2 years ago. They have been seasoning in my shed and I believe that they are plenty dry to turn into bows. At least I'm hopeful they will become bows. I've been doing alot of studying about bow design and from what I gather so far it's good to start with a D shaped bow.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 04:00:11 am »
I'd say you have a good amout of leeway Ash will make a longbow (at a pinch) which is pretty narrow, but I'd say go for your flatbow 3 fingers wide at the widest, narrowing down to as thin as you dare like ;D.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 06:30:44 am »
I would say for the weight and at that length I would go at least 1 1/2 to 1 5/8 at the fads.
I usually take that to mid limb and the tapper to the tips. That should get the weight you want.
I have never really made many d bows,I usually make my belly flat. That could change things.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline J05H

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 08:40:47 am »
I have never really made many d bows,I usually make my belly flat. That could change things.

I'm not sure, but I think he means D-shaped as in bend in the handle, not a D cross-section. I'm no expert but I think Ash could handle 45lbs at 1 3/8" wide out to
mid-limb.
If you never have time to do it right, you'll always have time to do it over.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 09:14:10 am »

I'm not sure, but I think he means D-shaped as in bend in the handle, not a D cross-section. I'm no expert but I think Ash could handle 45lbs at 1 3/8" wide out to
mid-limb.

It might but you're better off to go 1 1/2: wide.  Ash can have a nasty tendency to chrysal
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline northvtarcher

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 10:49:18 am »
By D bow I do mean bend in the handle. I was reading one of the sample articles n this site and it was about making sapling bows that bend in the handle. It looked like they were made fairly narrow. I'm not using a sapling but I was figuring even with a regular stave you could get away with this same design ???

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 02:32:26 pm »
Yes you did say flatbow, northvarcher. I'd go 1.25 in to 1.5 in. wide. My site may help. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline northvtarcher

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2010, 03:08:39 pm »
My mistake. I was thinking any longbow made with a flat belly would be considered a flatbow.  If you make a bend in the handle with a rectangular cross section what kind of dimensions would you need? How much width compared to depth at the handle section? You still want to make the belly flat right?