Author Topic: Heat box?  (Read 2385 times)

Offline tiknuttle

• primative hunter
Heat box?
« on: August 05, 2010, 11:09:25 pm »
I was wondering if anyone knew how to make a simple heat box to dry white wood staves? Something simple that I could build with supplies from Lowes or Homedeput. Any suggestions will be gratefully apreciated.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Heat box?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 11:23:44 pm »
All a heat box is is a plywood box with light bulb heat source. You can make it as simple or complicated as you want.  I got plans for mine from Binghams Projects but you can build one without plans. I used ceramic light bulb sockets(4) and wired them to an on/off switch. I control the heat by the number of bulbs lit. Some use a light dimmer switch to control the temp.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline walkabout

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 11:46:18 pm »
you can go as simple as a section of pvc tube thats hung over a lamp, i know more than a few people use this method for drying staves. you would of course have to rotate the ends every once in awhile to ensure they dry evenly.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 11:56:15 pm »
Easy?  I stuck a dehumidifier in a linen closet and I can get 105 degrees at 0% humidity.  Plus when I step outa the shower and grab a towel it's nice and waaaarrrrmmmm!  Hehehe.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline tiknuttle

• primative hunter
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 11:53:27 am »
Yeah I think I might need some plans to build one for the first time. Does anyone know where I can get plans, or can someone give me directions.

Offline walkabout

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 01:07:28 pm »
you can build one out of foam insulation thats got the foil on it too. lightweight and pretty cheap.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 02:23:28 pm »
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Kegan

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2010, 07:17:13 pm »
You really don't need plans. Cut some plywood to get a 1' x 1' x 6' box. Basic carpentry skills are all you need. A few ceramic fixtures and you're golden. I don't even have a switch. I have it plugged into a multi strip, using it's "off/reset" button to turn the box off. Three 60 Watt bulbs brings it to 130 degrees. More than enough to cook my hickory staves ;).