Author Topic: tutoring??  (Read 2380 times)

Offline bootboy

• vinland longbows
tutoring??
« on: July 23, 2010, 02:14:41 pm »
I wonder, Are there any of you guys that form little groups where you can show each other things that you have learned in person. Or teach the basics to beginers. Like a Tutoring group or what not? I can build a bow more or less, but I am always looking for someone better then me to check out what Im doing so I can improve.
 How many of you live in southern ontario? I've heard from various friends that they have heard of other bow makers working around here (toronto) its just a matter of locating them.

Maybe this isnt the right form on Primitive archer to put this post but i didnt know where to.
knapp 'um if you got 'um

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: tutoring??
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 04:08:29 pm »
Several guys at our club are having a go at making bows, I've said they are welcomed to come over to my place anytime, have a pizza and a beer, talk about bows, do some tillering and stuff.
No takers yet tho'. Hmmm maybe I need to shower more often  ::) ?
But really it's trying to organise that sort of thing I s'pose folk are busy, weekends are short,it's the holiday season.
I'm available if anyone wants to make the effort to get here... it's a bit of a long swim for most of you guys though.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 05:56:23 pm »
I've done one-on-ones both as student and teacher.  I can't imagine how much fun it would be to have a half dozen or more projects going on at once around me. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 08:47:08 pm »
 This goes on every year at the Classic. It is nothing to see 20 bows in various stages being worked on with an equal amount of experianced people helping with advice.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2010, 05:48:37 pm »
Wood (pun) love to make it to the Tennessee Classic some time. 

Anyone out there in Southern Ontario messing with bows?  Call bootboy up and get a Ontario Classic started!

Offline bootboy

• vinland longbows
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 08:36:21 pm »
seriously!!
 Lets get something started here!!
knapp 'um if you got 'um

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 03:19:50 am »
I'm in Ottawa, but there is a gentleman in Barrie by the name of Jim Cooper that makes bows, i visited him for about an hour once, but then i had to leave.. Maybe you could try to contact him. It's a bit too long of a drive for me. And i would love to see something get started in Southern Ontario, It would be a lot more realistic driving to it then Tennessee.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2010, 02:57:06 pm »
About the same distance to here in the Black Hills of South Dakota, but if you ever come here, you are welcome to crash at my place and scrape bows to your heart's content.