Author Topic: First New Bow Build  (Read 4996 times)

Offline Ronbow

Re: First New Bow Build
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2010, 01:43:55 pm »
Thanks Pappy and thanks George, getting an ok from you two, you do know this, is like the ultimate in my book. I don't know as much about you as I will but I can tell from the respect you are given by the others, that you earned it. If I knew nothing else, that would be enough.

I hope to hang around long enough to pick you two guys' brain, share a cup of coffee, and maybe put a rasp on the same piece of wood. Now that sounds like Bowyer Heaven.

Thanks a lot

Ron

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2010, 05:20:28 pm »
I'm no pro, that tiller is better than any of mine.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Offline acker

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2010, 06:13:29 pm »
Very well done for the first one  :)
Welcome to the land of bow building , I bet that it won't be your last bow in this year  ::) ;D

acker

Offline chasing crow

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2010, 06:23:34 pm »
Very pretty bow and weight seems to have worked out well.  Feels good doesn't it!  Is that backing drywall tape?
We know more than we think we do. Pass your knowledge on to our youth

Offline Ronbow

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2010, 08:07:16 pm »
Thanks all, and yes, it is drywall tape backing. Although it was part of the instructions for the build, I almost scraped the plan because of the looks but decided that, hey, it is the first bow and so went pretty much by the instructions. I did not paint it (backing) and it turned out looking better (in my eyes anyway). I am starting my next bow now and would like to use flax for backing but am unsure how to obtain it and what exactly is needed. Any advise on flax would be greatly appreciated, like is there any chain store or common place it might be purchased, and what do I ask for, (is there different types / lengths required)?
I am not totally 100% set on flax, but according to the posts I have read, it is not too expensive (which is good) and is a great baking.

I also am helping my daughter start her first bow today. Man oh man, am I having fun! :D :D

Offline chasing crow

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2010, 10:41:18 pm »
Ronbow,
I used burlap (yes as in bag), whent on great and I like it.

Offline Ronbow

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2010, 11:05:37 pm »
thanks Crow, right now Jawge has got me thinking an old silk dress might be the look and service I need on this one but you can bet a burlap backing is in the near future.

Offline NTD

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2010, 11:09:11 pm »
I find burlap cheap and visually appealing.  But you're right first bow an all so not a biggie.  Generally we try to stay away from FG here but I think you did such an outstanding job tillering up your first bow that no one was going to jump on you about it.  Flax would be neat but also remember that if you pick a good board you can make one unbacked too.

Keep up the outstanding work.
Nate Danforth

Offline Ronbow

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2010, 02:18:47 am »
Thanks NTD, I had an idea that the backing may have hit on a sore spot with Pappy, Sorry Pappy, won't happen again. I think I am on the right track now. After a little back and forth with Jawge, I think I will go with linen, it being the strongest and easiest  to work with for my second bow and keep reading about Flax. For some reason it is stuck in my mind, ( singing to me) and so I know it is in my near future. If you have any info or links, please let me know because I am hungry for the knowledge.

Thanks again
NTD

Offline chasing crow

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2010, 08:22:57 am »
Ronbow,
Good choice. You will never go wrong following Jawge's lead!! He is The Man!
Chasing Crow