Main Discussion Area > Primitive Skills

How Technology affects us

<< < (2/8) > >>

Pat B:
Dana, I am fortunate in that my wife would like to move to a tar paper shack away from everyone. Where we live now, we have 25ac and the only houses we see is during the winter and they are on a high ridge and only see their lights at night. Our county has only 30,000 residents and half of the county is National Forest or State Parks. I guess the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. 
   Both of us are techno phobes and could live without electricity or indoor plumbing. In 1993 we went through a blizzard(southern style ;D) with 18"-24" of snow and were snowed in for 9 days...and loved it. We had a blast while others thought they were suffering ;D.      Pat

GregB:

Dana, I'm the same age as you...will be 47 in July. I think it was 1977 when my brother and I went in together and bought a Bear Polar II Compound bow. He is three years older and would drive us to a local archery range at Ft. Campbell and he would shoot it for a little while, then hand the bow to me to shoot. I eventaully started buying my own compounds and went down the road of always trying to get the newest, improved bow.

I finally bought a Bighorn about 21 years ago, and have stayed primitive since except a moment or two of weakness. ;D I've taken the vast majority of my deer harvest with that Bighorn bow. I've been into making selfbows for about five years now I think. Last year I picked up my old Bighorn again after a couple of bad shots with the selfbow. Didn't make any difference...problem was all me.

What I really enjoy most in life costs very little. Making bows isn't a very expensive hobby compared to most. I don't have a cell phone and never have although my wife couldn't live without her's it seems. I'm happiest when scraping on wood, stopping only to check how the latest feast in the dutch oven is coming along. That's when "life is good!". ;)

jamie:
yup

Pat B:
My first compound was bought at a flee market way back when for $50. After I killed a few deer with it I had to have a better one and sold that one for $50. It was a Bear Black tail. My next was a PSE Nove but by then I had already started thinking about trad bows and shortly after that I got a custom recurve. I almost got a used Big Horn. My next purchase was a Treadway long bow but by then I was making selfbows. I killed my first trad deer with that Treadway after missing 9 in a row with the recurve(6 within 10 minutes). Three years ago I started hunting only with self bows(or hickory backed bows, and primitive arrows. I'm still waiting for an opportunity with one of my bows(I wish I had those six shots to do over again). Most of my fun has been since I started using self bows and I have never looked back. Occasionally, I will pick up my Treadway or recurve but it just ain't the same.   Pat

Kegan:
(weeping) Amen my brothers! (sniffle)

I have seen and said those exact same things, and I'm still by most rights a kid! Luckily I can give my brother anything I find "too modern", or maybe borrow his power tools if I need some help bow making :).

As Thoreau said, "Siimplify, simplify..."

And so lives one the beautiful world of primitve archery! It takes you back... it sets you free. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version