Author Topic: Opinions on Osage Stave- 1st Osage Done!  (Read 2352 times)

Offline Parnell

Opinions on Osage Stave- 1st Osage Done!
« on: August 02, 2010, 02:36:21 pm »
Hi Gang,

Well, I've been working on straightening out this stave.  It was Crooked and had a bit of twist, but I've got it to a pretty good point.  Needs maybe a little more fussing over.  Currently it's at 64" and wouldn't mind bringing it down another couple of inches.  I'm looking for about 55#.  I'm wondering about the kink in the one limb.  Everything is sound with the bow, but I'd really like to try a recurve and I'd like to get some opinions on whether this is or isn't a stave to give it a go with considering this mid-limb "kink".  Currently it's at ground tiller.

Opinions?

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 04:25:09 pm by Parnell »
1’—>1’

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: Opinions on Osage Stave
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 02:55:01 pm »
I think a recurve is totally possible with that stave, we're talkin 27-28" draw right?  That kink is gonna be tricky to tiller around, but as long as you make it share in the workload like the wood around it I don't think it will be too difficult.  I would make either really short recurves or I would just flip the tips up a little bit if it were mine.  Good luck on your bow!   :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 07:41:34 pm »
 Ohhh, yea, I'd bend it up some. Just take your time and make the kink work with the limb like Josh said. I'd keep a lot of heat away from that kink also, and just live with it.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Parnell

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 07:12:05 pm »
Here is a bit more work on this bow.  I shortened the bow up more than I was originally looking to.  When flipping the tips, there was a little pin knot that crushed on me, so I took it out.  This bow is now 58" ntn.  The bottom limb will be the one with the kink and needed to make that one inch shorter than the top.  Here is a picture at low brace and on the tree to 16". 

I want to get this one right so please, throw in your opinion on where it should go!

Thanks,

Parnell

P.s. Was wondering how many people heat treat osage bellies?  I've been doing it with the white woods, but haven't yet on this osage.  Don't see a lot of people saying they do...

1’—>1’

Offline walkabout

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 07:16:55 pm »
looks pretty cool. with a bow that short be sure you go slowly and get all of the limb you can working doing its fair share. also you might have some trouble getting it to draw 28', unless you make the handle bend. someone who knows better might chime in, but from everything ive built getting a draw thats that close to half the bow length is tough.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 09:13:14 pm »
Both limbs need to bend more from mid limb on. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Parnell

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2010, 12:15:04 am »
This stave is deflexed naturally out of the handle, so, I'm confident it can go to 27-28" for my full draw.  More to come...
1’—>1’

Offline Parnell

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2010, 06:45:25 pm »
This is 40#@20".  Anybody want to comment?

1’—>1’