Author Topic: alternatives to sinew  (Read 24917 times)

Offline chuckp

Re: alternatives to sinew
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2010, 07:20:14 am »
The only backing I've done so far has been with burlap. Seems like burlap isn't on the preferred list because of its weight. I wonder if anyone has actually chronographed velocity of bows shot with different backings vs. unbacked bows.
I do understand the pluses of sinew, how it can prevent set and increase speed, but when applied to a bow in the 66"-72" range, many say it cancels out itself out by adding weight to the limbs. Again, is the speed decrease so much as to rule out it's merits?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2010, 07:25:14 am »
Wow, that would be a great idea.  If someone could build a bow and then apply a backing with hide glue so it could be removed and then another backing applied, and so on, testing and recording information with each one.  There would be some valuable information.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2010, 11:14:34 pm »
How does rawhide compare to sinew?  Is is more for protection than performance?  Does it stretch if soaked in water?

Rawhide is the equal of sinew for backing a bow to prevent splinters from lifting, but it does not add any draw weight to the bow, nor does it improve the speed of the bow.  Yup, sheer protection.  And yes, it does stretch when soaked in water, but it also will take up a huge variety of finishes to make it water resistant. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline chuckp

« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2010, 09:30:10 am »
Does the rawhide prevent splinters from lifting or is it the glue that coats the bows back when applying the rawhide.
Wouldn't  burlap do the same job as rawhide, but maybe adding a bit more weight?

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2010, 05:24:07 pm »
Does the rawhide prevent splinters from lifting or is it the glue that coats the bows back when applying the rawhide.
Wouldn't  burlap do the same job as rawhide, but maybe adding a bit more weight?

The glue isn't what protects the bow. To compare burlap and rawhide you have to know the thickness of each. Whichever is harder to tear will do a better job of holding down splinters.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline walkabout

« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2010, 06:12:53 pm »
burlap is a decent material for backing but its not really one i like very much. for one reason there are gaps in the weave, which leads me to believe that pressure would be distributed oddly.  rawhide is fairly uniform, and a more consistent area, which is about ideal for what you really want in a protective backing, where grain isnt exactly continuous/uniform.