Author Topic: Question about N. C. knap in.  (Read 2103 times)

Offline Ncsnipe

Question about N. C. knap in.
« on: August 16, 2010, 06:47:52 pm »
Is it all right to bring a camper or is it strictly tents only? Thanks.

Offline Hardawaypoints

Re: Question about N. C. knap in.
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 07:37:50 pm »
I'm waiting to hear back from the property owner & will post as soon as I hear something.  I don't think there is any power, if that matters.  As soon as I know, you'll know.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Offline bryan irwin

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 07:38:32 pm »
they had campers there last year ill be sleeping inthe back of my truck.
bryan irwin

Offline Hardawaypoints

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 11:35:52 pm »
This is a different location this year, that's why I had to check.  I just heard from the landowners and they are good with it, so if you have a camper you feel like bringing, do it.

Jim

Offline Hardawaypoints

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 12:12:28 am »
Check this out:  http://rla.unc.edu/ncas/

Pretty cool, Huh?

Jim

Offline bryan irwin

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 12:23:27 am »
yea that is cool .
bryan irwin

Offline warhawk

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 08:35:53 pm »
I cant Wait to go to the Knappin. so i have never been to one i need you to tell me if i can bring my stuff and knappalong and if i can bring some rock to trade?
In working in stone i find my past, in giving of the blood i pay for the future.

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 09:07:31 pm »
Bring it all.  ;D
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline warhawk

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 10:24:54 pm »
thks and ill be there to see who some of you really are or look like.
In working in stone i find my past, in giving of the blood i pay for the future.

Offline Hardawaypoints

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 10:58:08 pm »
Definitely bring your tools and rock (don't forget your favorite knapping chair).  There will be knappers of all skill levels, and some will have rock & stuff to trade. A knap-in is as good a place to learn and improve your knapping skills as there is.  I'd love to get more rock vendors that what we currently have. If we keep this thing going, more will show up.  Joe (arappaho) has some dogwood billets, rhyolite, obsidian & who knows what else to sell.

I will be throwing a sweet piece of banded rhyolite from my personal stash in to be raffled, so you stand a chance at getting a piece of quality rock for not much $$. 

I'm really looking forward to putting more faces with names, catching up to old friends, & maybe even chipping a rock or two.
Every day is getting closer....

Jim

Offline arappaho

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2010, 11:32:32 pm »
Sounding good guys! :) I'm really looking forward to it, too!

My stock pile of NC Rhyo is getting depleted. Need to find some more good sources.
But I think I've got enough to get us thru the weekend. I'll have some for sale and a
pile you can grab from, for those of you who have never tried to tame the Rhyo beast. ;)

And then, the other extreme, several different types of obsidian. I want as many nice points
as I can get out of it to send the guy in California I'm getting the obsidian from. So if you make one,
and want to part with it, I'll pay you for it with more obsidian rock.

Some mahogany slabs,

banded slab,

I haven't tackled this piece yet,

It would be nice to have some of that Florida coral, but there's no telling what might turn up.
I'm bringing a bunch of quartz, too, incase anyone wants to experiment with it.

It sounds like we are going to have quite a few spectators that have never seen knapping done
before and a lot of first-timers, so it doesn't matter how good at bustin' rock you are,
as long as you "Look" like you know what you're doing, that's all that counts. ;D

See you all in a couple of weeks, and have a good Labor Day weekend!
Joe