Author Topic: Siyhas  (Read 22151 times)

Offline aero86

Re: Siyhas
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2010, 01:27:43 pm »
well, the siyah part is unbending, so you wouldnt need to go quite that far with the backing, but id probably put the siyahs on and then put the back up to it. i know i contradict myself saying that, but its what id do  lol
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline walkabout

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2010, 01:44:16 pm »
i gotta agree, depending on the backing material you may not get a good enough glue joint for it to hold. unless it were something like a good flat hickory backing id glue the siyahs on first. of course if you were splicing the siyahs in it wouldnt really matter, but thats more complex to do and i dont think it would be needed on such a simple design.

Offline ericw

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2010, 02:34:00 pm »
Thanks guys.
Too many ideas and questions  ;D

Offline KenH

• The Kilted Cook
    • The Kilted Cook Personal Chef
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2010, 04:43:02 pm »
If you're going to build a "two wood" bow - that is back with wood - then I would glue the back and belly together first.  You can glue in some added reflex that way.  Then glue the siyahs to the back.  If you look close in the photo I posted on page 1 here, you'll see that that bow is Black Locust backed with 1/8" Maple.

If you're going to "splinter back" with cloth, rawhide or snakeskin, then glue that on after the bow is finished.  The area where the backing and siyah meet can be covered with a few turns of colored embroidery thread over wrap.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 04:48:18 pm by KenH »
You Kill It - I Cook It!
Ken Hulme,
The Kilted Cook Personal Chef Service

Offline LEGIONNAIRE

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2010, 07:21:31 pm »
Great thread everyone, thanx for the help Ken I greatly appreciate it, thnx for pointing us on the right track.
CESAR

LEGIONNAIRE ARCHERY

Offline Jefficus

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2016, 07:29:20 pm »
In a long flat splice like this, you guys think TBIII would hold, unwrapped?

mikekeswick

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2016, 04:04:31 am »
In a long flat splice like this, you guys think TBIII would hold, unwrapped?

Yes but I personally would v-splice everytime. Much stronger, doesn't need wrapping and no potential failure.