Author Topic: Pine pitch  (Read 23953 times)

Offline walkabout

Re: Pine pitch
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2010, 04:24:29 pm »
just a quick question, if one doesnt have beeswax would they be able to supplement fibres from a plant which has a naturally occuring wax, such as say the needles off of a shrub? i ask because our shrub when trimmed the needles still retain much of their waxy nature and will not crumble easily.

Offline agd68

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2010, 08:43:37 am »
Does it have to be pine pitch or can you use Spruce or Fir pitch
Happiness is..
A wet lab, dirty gun, and a cold beer after a day on the Marsh

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2010, 08:44:56 am »
I would this so.Jesse puts fiber in his anyway.I got mine done.It didn't make as much as I thought it would.By the time I cooked it off and cleaned and strained it.But made enough to last a while.I used bees wax and char-co from a piece of burnt Hickory ground up fine.Turned out pretty good.
Jesse use some to mount a couple of napped blades. Held them great. Now I need to find some more. :) agd68 you must have been posting while I was.I am not sure on that,I am sure someone will know,I was thinking the same thing,I fine a lot on wild cherry trees,it's sticky but not sure how it would work. :)
   Pappy

[attachment deleted by admin]
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2010, 09:43:04 am »
pappy a great way to test your pitch is to put some on a piece of paper. when it cools bend the paper a bit and if it cracks its too brittle, if its tacky its too much fat, ya want somewhere in the middle. peace
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2010, 12:41:00 am »
I believe any conifer pitch will work. I'm not sure about fruit tree pitch. I know you can make varnish with the fruit tree pitch. I have a plum that is oozing and was gonna see what I could make from it.
  For varnish dissolve the pitch(fruit or conifer) in alcohol, strain out the impurities and store in an air tight jar. Again, the more brittle the raw pitch the better.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
    • Guerilla Chef Headquarters
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2010, 01:10:12 am »
Pat, those sap chunks look familiar. Is that the pinyon sap?
Living a dream...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2010, 01:54:14 am »
Nope! I think that is plain old Tennessee jack pine.  ;D  The pinion pine sap you sent me does make very good glue and varnish. It has a darker amber color too.
..and smells real good!  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline walkabout

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2010, 05:49:20 pm »
if the pitch is still tacky at room temperature does it need more cooking? the batch i just made will harden pretty well but wants to stick to surfaces i set the sticks on

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2010, 06:07:22 pm »
When done and cooled the pitch should be hard and brittle, not tacky at all. If you make glue or varnish with the tacky stuff the finished product will also be tacky. It will eventually harden up naturally but that could take a while.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2010, 01:58:39 pm »
Pat knows his stuff on pine pitch, so I can't add much here.

I will say that adding beeswax lowers the melting temperature.  That's important around here where temperatures inside a car can reach well over 150 degrees.  I've had pitch/beeswax glue melt and run off completely from arrows left in my car.  I don't know the exact temperature when beeswax will melt, but it's much lower than pitch.

Consequently, I use very little beeswax now.  I need to experiment with fat or tallow, like Jamie mentioned.  My pitch glue is brittle.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2010, 02:12:10 pm »
OK, I looked it up.  ;D

Pine rosin usually melts at around 165 degrees with a flash point of 400 degrees.  Beeswax melts at about 145 degrees.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2010, 10:34:09 am »
If your pitch is brittle then it needs more fat or beeswax or it will break off from whatever you put it on over time.  I use about 50% ~ 60% resin, 30% ~ 40% beeswax and the rest charcoal, depending on how dark I want the pitch.  The fat or beeswax not only makes the pitch flexible it also helps it to stick and stay stuck
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2010, 12:21:13 pm »
Ya the first I made was brittle and broke off the first time I shot an arrow,I used about what you said Marc and it seem to work very good.I used bees wax,may try the deer tallow on the next batch.I just have trouble finding the pitch to start with in enough to do much with. Got loads of pines on my farm and 50 or 60 around my house,I just need to figure out how to make them
bleed  >:D .I was thinking I would trim some big limbs in the spring when the sap is really rising might be the best time,what do yall think about that  ???
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2010, 12:24:40 pm »
Pappy,
If you hit it with an ax in the spring a couple of times, it will bleed pitch pretty good all summer....or you can just cut back some limbs. 
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2010, 10:00:42 pm »
A good source of almost pure sap is the cones.  They are covered in pure, clean sap, I've just got to figure out an easy way of getting it off.  I figure filling a big pot with a bunch of them, putting a lid on and just heating them up will do it but it will still be messy and you can kiss the pot goodbye for cooking after
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com