Author Topic: can i shoot this caplock?  (Read 4565 times)

Offline recurve shooter

can i shoot this caplock?
« on: August 11, 2010, 01:22:31 pm »
sorry, i know this is gunna be hard without a pic but i cant get this camera phone to cooperate with me. i have a caplock rifle, i think it was one of the traditions kits, that my dad shot a long time ago, but he retired it because of a hole drilled in the barrel. its a heavy octagonal barrel, and on the bottom of it there are two little bracket things welded to the barrel for pinning the forward stock to it, but whoever drilled them mised the bracket with a hole, and its through the bottom of the barrel. its below the bore so the barrel is still intacked, it just has a hole drilled through the bottom of it. get what im tryin to say? i really want to shoot this gun but i dont wanna lose a hand or anything. what do yall think?
lets just shoot it

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: can i shoot this caplock?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 12:40:06 am »
The two bracket thingeys are called "lugs" or barrel lugs, to be more correct.  When you say the hole is thru the barrel, I am only assuming that the hole does not pass into the actual bore of the barrel where hot gasses and such could escape. 

Got a caliper?  Got a friend that has a caliper?  Know someone at a machine shop, cuz those guys all use calipers.  You are going to want to measure the thickness of the barrel between the outside flat and the bore.  That will tell you how thick the barrel walls are.  Then measure how deep into that barrel wall the hole is.  If you can get me some numbers, I can talk with some of the famous (or infamous) gun builders I know.  If it was made by Traditions, I bet even money it is a Green Mountain brand barrel.  They are a serious mass producer, but their barrels still hold some international records...production barrels, not even custom jobs.  At least you are dealing with good quality steel.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 03:52:34 pm »
thanks. i shot it and foud out there is acutally a pin hole from the bore to the hole so its gunna hang on the wall. gunna save up and buy a lyman.
lets just shoot it

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 09:04:03 pm »
There are ways to "undrill" a hole,  but you may be doing the best thing just setting it back.  But, bring it in sometime, i'd like to see it.  piper

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2010, 02:09:07 am »
will do mr. kieth. ian wants to make a big pistol out of it.  :-\  ??? ::)
lets just shoot it

Ian Johnson

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2010, 02:13:19 am »
well i figure its the only way to get some use out of it cause id hate to see it hang on a wall

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
    • Guerilla Chef Headquarters
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2010, 02:54:47 am »
Hopefully, you're kidding about making a pistol out of it. It is a blackpowder and not subject to most firearms laws that apply to modern weapons, but some places will still try to nail you on local sawed-off rifle laws. Once more, some friendly advice:

Altering firearms like sawing barrels, converting rifles to pistols, putting shoulder stocks on pistols, etc., etc. is a good way to go to jail. These are felonies is most cases, sometimes federal charges are applied. Some people have gotten themselves into deep excrement thinking they could slap a pistol upper on their AR-15 lower and just remove the buttstock. Best not to get into the practice of hacksaw gun conversions, even with muzzleloaders.

By the way, there's a great place to play with stuff that goes boom and rig stuff up to go kablooey. They're called United States Army Combat Engineers. Or if firearms are your shtick, do what I did. Go into the U.S. Army as a 45Bravo (Small Arms Repairer.) You'll train at the U.S. Army Ordnance Center and School at the charming Aberdeen Proving Grounds. After training, you'll be repairing all small arms in whatever dump the army sends you to. Eventually, you will be so sick of light machine guns, you'll be seeing them in your dreams. Like counting sheep, but I was seeing M-60s jumping over fences. It took me five years to finally forget the National Stock Number for the M-16A1 firing pin.
Living a dream...

Ian Johnson

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2010, 09:35:41 am »
Tsalagi, the hole in the barrel is a good ways down and I was going to make sure it was at least the minimum 18in limit and then make a carbine, but more than likely recurveshooter will just hang it on a wall

Ian

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2010, 02:37:22 pm »
yeah i know it aint good to mess around with modifying guns. thats y its gunna hang on a wall and not go anywhere near ian.  ;D
lets just shoot it

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2010, 07:30:51 pm »
When you say "it aint good to mess around with modifying guns", does that include sawing the breech and touch hole off my .50 cal caplock, installing a new breech, converting to flintlock  and redrilling the touch hole with an added White Lightening liner, and restocking with sugar maple?

Gosh, I sure hope not, because if that was dangerous, one of those last 4-5000 shots thru the gun might have killed me.   >:D

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2010, 12:37:19 am »
lol. jw, keep in mind, you are indubitably an experienced and skilled craftsman, and know what your doing. I'm a seventeen year old boy with a hack saw and some epoxy.  ;D
lets just shoot it

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2010, 01:26:49 am »
Actually, sawing off and replacing a breech is no harder than tillering a bow.  Lotsa light strokes with a good mill file and repeated fittings of the breech plug until everything lines up perfect. 
I breeched my first barrel in two hours using nothing but spotting compound, a 6" mill file, and the Gunsmith of Grenville County book. 

As for cutting down the open end of the pipe?  I go to a qualified gunsmith with a high quality lathe so that the barrel is properly recrowned to retain some semblance of accuracy. 

As for making a long pistol from this barrel, it shouldn't be a problem legally.  But again, for a muzzle cut down, I would recommend going to the gunsmith to have it shortened.  The current stock may even work to be cut down to make the pistol stock.  Many early pistols had very little drop in the grip compared with a modern (1850- current times) revolver.  With a little work, you may have what would be known as a "horse pistol", since it was usually hung from the pommel in a holster.  Often sold in pairs so one hung on each side of the saddle ready at hand for dealing with those pesky Irish highwaymen.

Offline Diligence

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2010, 02:17:04 pm »
lol. jw, keep in mind, you are indubitably an experienced and skilled craftsman, and know what your doing. I'm a seventeen year old boy with a hack saw and some epoxy.  ;D

....and might I add, don't forget the magical powers of JB Weld and duct tape....lol

That's a great signature line, "I'm a seventeen year old boy with a hack saw and some epoxy."

J
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2010, 12:16:05 am »
lol  ;D
lets just shoot it