Author Topic: Taking the plunge, or The Bow Who Lived (w/ full draw pic!)  (Read 12914 times)

Offline Frode

@Jawge; True enough.  Sometimes there's nothing better at the end of a looong corporate day than sitting down and working around one of those knots, even if you're not really "accomplishing" anything.  Good therapy.

@Alpinbogen; You've stayed my hand, which already held the saw.  I think I'll hang on to it and try a few more things (like learning to work with sinew, on a small scale).
Frode
If it doesn't rap the lintel, it might not be a longbow.

Offline Frode

Re: Taking the plunge, or The Bow Who Lived (w/ full draw pic!)
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2010, 06:05:05 pm »
OK, first off, this is a testament to the properties of osage, and not my skills at bow making  :o ;D!

After careful consideration  ;), I decided to go Myth Busters on this little stick (you know, after the theory is fully proved/disproved, and the only thing left to do is add more dynamite and just blow it up!).  I did a little more filing around the crack area, think I got it all, re-smoothed all the edges, wrapped the former crack zones with silk thread and super glue, moved the bending back into the fades a bit, and generally evened the curves out.  I also cut off the major knot at one end and put maple overlays on both ends.  I didn't really expect to pull it, just use it for wood working practice.  It was also the recipient of my first three attempts at string making, but that's a whole 'nother story.  Well, the long and short of the story is that I took it to practice to show some folks my progress smoothing out my first piece of osage, and the Marshall (range safety officer) asked how it looked drawn.  I told him I had concerns, but took it over to a safe place and pulled it back about 20-22 inches, and he proclaimed it actually pretty smooth, and asked if I was planning on shooting it.  I said probably not, though I might plink a couple out at half draw just to say I'd done it.  Much to my surprise, no ticks, no splinters, no cracks, and no explosion!  Over the next hour or so, I gradually took it up to consistent 22-24" draws, still no problems  :o.  It's light, if it's 30# I'd be shocked, and the string doesn't track as true as it should, but it actually shoots pretty smoothly, putting an arrow on the target from 20 yards with very little drop.

I think this bow is probably retired now, though I'll try heating and straightening to bring the string into line with the grip, and generally finish it up for looks, but I thought ya might like to see how this story ended up!  Thanks again for all the help and comments!

Frode

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2010, 06:10:28 pm »
Sweet work, Frode, old boy!  Those maple overlays look cool and will really pop once the osage darkens with age. 

Guessing from your remark about the Marshall looking over the bow that you were shooting an SCA event?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Frode

« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2010, 06:15:17 pm »
Thanks JW!  Yup, SCA, the occasional RenFaire (one coming up in October, in fact), but mostly we just like to shoot wood bows!  ;D
Frode

Offline cracker

« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2010, 09:54:47 pm »
Looks pretty darn good to me I'm surprised it made a bow that was a really chalenging piece of wood. Good job.Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline Frode

« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2010, 10:59:53 pm »
Ron,
Not half as surprised as me, heheh!  Thank you!
Frode

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2010, 01:07:20 pm »
Cool Bow looks like it was a challenge to make for sure.  Got it bookmarked for Sept BOM too.  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln