Author Topic: True oil over silk?  (Read 2099 times)

Offline Mark Anderson

• Mark Anderson Buckie, Scotland
True oil over silk?
« on: August 12, 2010, 07:59:48 pm »
Is tru-oil ok to use over a silk backing?
Just finished one up and after three coats of true oil I got to wondering if it would work.
First time backing with silk.
Mark
"Mommy some guys just don't know how to shoot REAL bows so they have to buy them, probably at Walmart and they have wheels on them."  Caedmon Anderson (4yrs)

Offline Mark Anderson

Re: True oil over silk?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 08:17:06 pm »
Oh yeah I used tb3
"Mommy some guys just don't know how to shoot REAL bows so they have to buy them, probably at Walmart and they have wheels on them."  Caedmon Anderson (4yrs)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 11:54:59 pm »
Yes, Tru-Oil is compatible with silk and TBIII.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 12:06:36 am »
With the Tru-Oil soaking into the fabric, I would give it extra time to cure between coats since it will probably take a bit more of the Tru-Oil than just plain wood.  Post pics, would love to see your work.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Mark Anderson

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 09:46:04 am »
Ok thanks guys. I just went ahead anyway and got her finished up last night. I'll post pictures probably Monday morning.
Mark

Offline wodpow

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 07:58:18 pm »
I have used tightbond II with silk and tru-oil couldn't have work better. at first I thought it would lock the fibers and make the silk more prone to failure beings it didn't flex and move. Didn't someone use wet silk and a broom handle  to bend jail cell bars but dry silk wouldn't work?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 11:14:58 pm »
wet silk and broomhandle was used in the movie Shanghai Knights (sp?) with Jackie Chan and what's-his-name.  So you know it's real.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.