Author Topic: snake id (finished skin pic added)  (Read 12676 times)

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
snake id (finished skin pic added)
« on: August 21, 2010, 10:08:11 pm »
im gonna post this here cause its going on a bow soon . any idea what this one is i thought a young water moccasin

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 10:49:27 pm by ken75 »

Offline NTD

Re: snake id
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 10:15:32 pm »
Looks like a cottonmouth/water moccasin to me.
Nate Danforth

Offline Irontom

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 10:17:54 pm »
That would be my semi-educated guess.  Does it have the trademark white mouth yet?

Thats pretty cool if it is, don't get to see the patterning of cottonmouths to often since they turn almost black with age.

Offline walkabout

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 10:19:24 pm »
looks like a water moccasin to me as well. heres a pic of one for reference.    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_wdtCRgVZ6yE/SWoN4M4UxII/AAAAAAAAGCo/bGAhp3wkwXM/s1600-h/DSC06897.JPG  make a nice backing for sure, wish i had some wildlife like that close.

Offline walkabout

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 10:20:25 pm »
haha i guess that link didnt work. anyway heres the source page with pics, hope it helps   http://pureflorida.blogspot.com/2009/01/now-that-is-water-moccasin.html

half eye

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 10:22:09 pm »
Ken,
     Being one of the people who dont much care for snakes.....I can definately say it is without doubt.....dangerous ;D Well maybe not it the current condition, but he's gonna make a way better backin than a pet, I know that for sure!!!!
rich

Offline walkabout

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 10:30:48 pm »
great thing about snakes with patterns like that is if theyre fat enough you can split the skin down the middle and have a perfect matching set for backings.

Offline Irontom

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010, 10:41:01 pm »
Being a fan of snakes, I do feel obligated to say that snakes aren't as bad as some people think.  It's like the hysteria that kept people from the beaches after Jaws came out.  The venomous ones are certainly no laughing matter, but aren't quite the spawn of satan they are made out to be either.

Thats the beauty of North America.  The hot snakes are easily identified by that triangular head shape.  It's the venom glands,  makes the back of there cheeks stick out.  Also the slit pupil vs. a round pupil, but who gets that close to a snake that hasn't already identified it right? 

Remember this only applies to North America.  Anywhere else in the world, all bets are off.  Oh yeah, and Florida too... might be easier to identify what doesn't live there, eh?

Offline ken75

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2010, 11:21:09 pm »
thanks i was pretty sure it was , i didnt kill it someone ahead of me hit it . although it was still wiggling when i put it in the bag.good size bout 36 inches most that size here are almost black thats why it threw me

Offline Irontom

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2010, 11:28:37 pm »
Just so there isn't any mis-understandings, I'm not trying to come down on anyone.  Especially for a roadkill snake.  Just throwing the information out there for others who might read it.

If it prevents at least one corn snake from meeting a shovel/hoe I'll be a happy camper!

Offline ken75

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2010, 11:33:36 pm »
iron i agree i only get road kill ,for some unknown reason almost no rattlers this year though , their usually everywhere

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2010, 12:51:47 am »
thanks i was pretty sure it was , i didnt kill it someone ahead of me hit it . although it was still wiggling when i put it in the bag.good size bout 36 inches most that size here are almost black thats why it threw me
That is the quickest way to get bit, be careful of the ones you think are dead or dying, they are the most dangerous. The head can even bite after it is chopped off.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline NTD

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2010, 01:07:37 am »
iron i agree i only get road kill ,for some unknown reason almost no rattlers this year though , their usually everywhere

We are just coming out of our rainy season and we are having much lower numbers than last year too Ken. 
Nate Danforth

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2010, 11:23:54 am »
Yep, that triangle head and hooded eyes are a dead givaway. but the patterning on the back looks a lot like the non-venomous diamond back water snakes we have around here..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline ken75

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2010, 12:47:00 pm »
justin just figured i was safe ... professional courtesy you know lol !!,