Author Topic: snake id (finished skin pic added)  (Read 12654 times)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: snake id
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2010, 07:32:34 pm »
 It look's like a Timber rattler to me. Moccasin's are usually darker
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline NTD

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2010, 07:46:18 pm »
Head shape is a little short and too boxy IMO to be a timber but the patterns sure are close.
Nate Danforth

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2010, 07:54:02 pm »
Well, does the thing have rattles ;D?
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2010, 08:00:13 pm »
 It's a canebrake, look's like it was smacked with a shovel. :)
Lakeland, Florida

Offline NTD

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2010, 08:15:12 pm »
The head scales from the nose back have 2 large then 3 then 2.  Timbers/Canebrakes (C.horridus) have many and much smaller scutes on the head.  Here's an example.  http://www.ectotherms.net/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=1705
 The presence of those large scutes nails it as a cottonmouth
Nate Danforth

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2010, 08:37:40 pm »
 What's on the tail? ???
Lakeland, Florida

Offline NTD

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2010, 08:42:35 pm »
 ;) ;D

I think Ken's a pretty smart guy and unless he's just trying to mess with us wouldn't have guessed Moccasin if it had a rattle...Just saying...
Nate Danforth

Offline Kitsu

• Räven bakom masken
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2010, 08:45:55 pm »
Thats the beauty of North America.  The hot snakes are easily identified by that triangular head shape.  It's the venom glands,  makes the back of there cheeks stick out.  Also the slit pupil vs. a round pupil, but who gets that close to a snake that hasn't already identified it right? 

Remember this only applies to North America.  Anywhere else in the world, all bets are off.  Oh yeah, and Florida too... might be easier to identify what doesn't live there, eh?

you have forgotten about coral snakes, but obviously, dont want to get this thread sidetracked, soooo just wanted to correct you a bit lol

yeah, ide prolly say cottonmouth, makes the most sense
"If you open your mind for me
You won't rely on open eyes to see
The walls you build within come tumbling down
And a new world will begin" ----- Queensryche, "Silent Lucidity

R.H , Southeastern PA/Western PA.

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2010, 12:53:18 am »
sorry it took so long busy day no rattles at all and eddie it was hit by a car just ahead of me yesterday just cut it off the board came out nice.might be able to split it down the middle. i think its a young mocassin that hasnt darkened up yet ive seen a bunch this year that havent turned dark for some reason. their patern really stands out

JustinNC

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2010, 09:56:20 am »
Yep, that triangle head and hooded eyes are a dead givaway. but the patterning on the back looks a lot like the non-venomous diamond back water snakes we have around here..

Dont let the triangle head fool you. While pit vipers (Copperheads, rattlers, moccasins) all have a triangle head, a lot of harmless watersnakes do as well.

The give away on a cottonmouth is the dark horizontal band across the eye. I dont care if the snake is old and hardly has any pattern, or if it's a new born that still has a yellow tail (GIVE AWAY FOR A JUVY COPPERHEAD OR COTTONMOUTH!!!!, yellow tip of the tail!!), it will still have the dark horizontal band across the eye.

But yes,  cottonmouth.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2010, 11:50:35 am »
 That sure is a pretty one. I'd like to have a couple of those.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Irontom

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2010, 08:32:08 pm »

Dont let the triangle head fool you. While pit vipers (Copperheads, rattlers, moccasins) all have a triangle head, a lot of harmless watersnakes do as well.

The give away on a cottonmouth is the dark horizontal band across the eye. I dont care if the snake is old and hardly has any pattern, or if it's a new born that still has a yellow tail (GIVE AWAY FOR A JUVY COPPERHEAD OR COTTONMOUTH!!!!, yellow tip of the tail!!), it will still have the dark horizontal band across the eye.

But yes,  cottonmouth.

Would you happen to know the name of a few species or have some pics for us?  I've seen snakes whose patterning made their head look kinda triangular but on closer inspection its just an illusion.  When they get agitated and flatten their heads out it kinda gives that impression too...

Offline NTD

« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2010, 09:57:31 pm »
Lyre snakes, Northern Water Snakes and narrow headed garter snakes, of course the lyre snake is technically a venomous snake as well but is innocuous to humans.  None of these examples have quite the same bulbous triangular shape but I think illustrate Justin's point.

Western hognose snakes have a very triangular head but can exaggerate it a lot too.  Of course they are also mildly venomous.
Nate Danforth

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2010, 10:30:27 pm »
That thar be a cotten mouth!  Patten ain't right for a timber (cane brake). There's a Timber rattlers head laying in the road in front of my house in case anybody wants a picture...fresh too ;D
 And before anybody gets their drawers in a wad...I didn't kill it. It was picked up out the road.

I also has the black line across it's eye.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 10:39:55 pm by Saw Filer »
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2010, 10:48:44 pm »
we have a banded water snake here with a triagular head also ,have to look close to tell its not poisenus,this one is but it came out nice real wide i think i can split it

[attachment deleted by admin]