Author Topic: right helical fletching jig for right wing feathers?  (Read 3727 times)

Offline blades7558

right helical fletching jig for right wing feathers?
« on: September 06, 2010, 04:02:58 pm »
i am going to start making arrows with goose and turkey feathers and i was looking at helical fletching jigs and it seems that the helical they put on is opposite of the bend of a right wing feather... am i crazy or just plain wrong? ive been shooting straight fletch up until now.
build em...break em...sigh....build em....

Offline adb

Re: right helical fletching jig for right wing feathers?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 01:15:54 am »
Right helical for RW feathes, left helical for LW feathers. Right will rotate the arrow clockwise, left counterclockwise. It dosn't matter, just don't mix up RW and LW on th same arrow.
When you say "straight fletch" do you mean off set? You should offset your feathers... at least 2 degrees, to get the arrow spinning a bit and stabilized. Same rule: RW feathers, right off set, and vice versa. The ony time I don't off set feathers, is when I'm making replica war arrows.

Offline blades7558

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 11:04:40 am »
ok thanks a bunch, it must have been my eyes deceiving me. as far as the straight fletch goes i use a straight clamp and just glue it parallel withe the shaft. i know this is killing my accuracy, thats why im switching to right helical.
build em...break em...sigh....build em....

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 07:36:36 pm »
No matter which wing feathers you use, the dull side of the feather faces the wind. Like you said, pretty much the opposite of the natural curve in the feather.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.