Author Topic: Fletch Tite on Non Bohning Sealers  (Read 1993 times)

Offline Stonedog

Fletch Tite on Non Bohning Sealers
« on: October 06, 2010, 02:47:45 pm »
So, I am no longer buying the Bohning sealers.  I am too poor and they are too expensive for me to keep using.

So, I do have a crap ton of Fletch Tite though and would like to use it.

Does anyone know of a store bought sealer that will work with Fletch Tite?
Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.

-Aiel Saying

Offline half eye

Re: Fletch Tite on Non Bohning Sealers
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 01:34:26 am »
stonedog,
        I had some of the same problems....solved them differently by dumping the bohnings and went with duco cement. A little trick you can try though is crest dip the shaft with regular lacquer, let it dry well, then rub the snot out of it with a kids eraser.....the pink kind thats like a square. What that does is give the surface "tooth" (means stuff will stick to it) Works good enough that ya can paint water based acrylics onto the lacquer and it will bond......that might get a good joint with the bohnings. Not much help but it just might let ya use up that "fletch-tite".       One other thing is to rub the lacquer down with some 600 wet/dry sandpaper (ya dont want to take the lacquer off....just make it look dull.
rich

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 04:04:18 pm »
 I use Loc-Tite Super Gel glue.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline NorthernArcher

• Alberta Traditional Bowhunters Association
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 02:58:22 am »
I have used both Fletch Tite and Duco Cement in the past, and never with a Bohning finish.  My preferred finish was water-based Varathane, and both glues stuck to it just fine.  Roughing up the surface before applying the glue is always a good idea if you choose to use the high gloss finish.  I preferred the low gloss, as it dried with a rougher texture and didn't shine at all, and I didn't have to rough up the surface before fletching.  Hope this helps.
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children."