Author Topic: String size  (Read 2162 times)

Offline Autumnbear

• My drum site
String size
« on: September 08, 2010, 03:38:25 am »
I'm a greenhorn to archery and have found TONS of great advise for my projects. I'm happy there is a site that is full of friendly and knowledgable people. My question is how do I figure out the size of string I need for my bow. Is there a chart or formula I need to follow when I get a string?

Again thanks! Autumnbear
"WHY DON'T WE LIBERATE, THESE UNITED STATES WE'RE THE ONES WHO NEED IT THE WORST
LET THE REST OF THE WORLD HELP US FOR A CHANGE AND REBUILD AMERICA FIRST"--MERLE HAGGARD

CLEAN AND SOBER AND PROUD OF IT HOSS!!!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: String size
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 06:11:08 am »
I make mine about 3 inches shorter than the bow Nock to nock,not tip to tip. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 10:43:40 am »
I agree with Pappy. I also use a bowyers knot on one end of the string so I can make bigger adjustments  than I can just by twisting the string.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline NTD

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 10:48:25 am »
I agree with Pat, started making em with the timber hitch on the end and I don't think I'll ever make a double loop again.  I was always making them too short or too long with a double loop, especially when stretch was factored in, single loop and a hitch solved that really quick.
Nate Danforth

Offline Autumnbear

• My drum site
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 11:48:18 am »
Thanks guys!
"WHY DON'T WE LIBERATE, THESE UNITED STATES WE'RE THE ONES WHO NEED IT THE WORST
LET THE REST OF THE WORLD HELP US FOR A CHANGE AND REBUILD AMERICA FIRST"--MERLE HAGGARD

CLEAN AND SOBER AND PROUD OF IT HOSS!!!

Offline profsaffel

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 02:30:22 pm »
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one... I've had the hardest time getting my double loops to come out the correct size, even after using forms and formulas.  :-\

I think I'm going bowyer's knot, baby!
Professor of History, Student of Bowyery

Offline Mark Anderson

• Mark Anderson Buckie, Scotland
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 02:44:18 pm »
I always do a bowyers knot at first but, I've found that after I shoot a bow in and the string has stretched enough I just mark the center of the knot loop and then unravel and twist in a loop. I can't stand walking around with the little tag end of the string hanging from the bottom limb. Still I've never been able to get a double loop the right size right off the bat. This way it always comes out right.
Mark
"Mommy some guys just don't know how to shoot REAL bows so they have to buy them, probably at Walmart and they have wheels on them."  Caedmon Anderson (4yrs)

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 02:45:42 pm »
I use two loops and never had a problem making my strings come out even and the right length using a jig I made.  I make flemmish twist strings.  For the loops I just measure out 8" of string to start my twists, do 16 tight twists, and then fold it over and twist the ends into the string.  My loops always come out even and my strings come out the right length every time... I have never had a problem with it.  I don't like shooting with timber hitches on my strings as it seems to be alot of trouble to adjust them and they constantly need re-adjusting to keep a consistant brace height for me.. Maybe I am doing the timber hitch wrong or something but since I have never had a problem with the double loops I think I will just keep doing it that way.   :)  
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 06:11:30 pm »
I agree with Josh, I find timberhitchs a pain to keep adjusting when they slip, sometimes they settle in and stay put, but sometimes they dont, especially on new strings. I use an adjustable string (as above), get it to the right length on the new bow, measure it and make a flemish double loop the same length. Autumnbear, the length of string will depend on you chosen brace height.
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline gmc

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 08:30:07 pm »
Guess I'm in the bowyers knot camp.  ;D

I've made double loop strings before but have a tough time keeping up with the string when not in use and I'm not a "string keeper" kinda guy. The one end secured allows me to hang my bows vertically on the rack with that 3 or 4 inches of slack on a peg, loop end up without the bow dropping through the string. Limited room that I have, many bows to hang.

Another advantage is when I get really lazy (which is most of the time), I can borrow a string from another bow even thou the length is a little smaller or longer and it will still work.

If you tie a timber hitch knot correctly it won't stretch or come loose. Now, if you only loop that string a couple times building that knot it just may. A bow with allot of reflex will remind you quickly on how to tie one. Can't tell you how I know this, but it may beat you up in the process.  ::)

One more advantage and I'll leave this alone, is that it looks cool with a little homemade string hanging from the end.  :P

Central Kentucky