Author Topic: securing point  (Read 2253 times)

Offline Tower

securing point
« on: October 07, 2010, 11:13:33 pm »
I have been knapping for 8yrs. I took my first deer in 2001 with a point I knapped myself. At the time I had no idea there were knappers or primative archers. I've had great success with a 50 lb bow. This year I have changed to a 70 lb longbow still using cedar shafts .last sat. My arrow failed ! I hit a little high above the shoulder below the spine in the scapula, it was a hard hit but when I found my arrow my penatration was only 1.5 in. I know this was not the best shot, but I have made it before with a pass through . My range was 15 yds. My guess is the way I secure my point was good for 50 lbs but not 70 lbs. I secure with wood glue and arti. Senew. Do all yall think I removed too much shaft for the point? My points are sharp
. Some are treated some are raw Tx flint.  I think my shaft failed not the point. Any sugg?
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline Tower

Re: securing point
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 11:46:17 pm »
I will say my shaft was broken 1.5 in back. It was split about 4 in from the remaining shaft. I secured another point to the same shaft, special for the same doe! Secured much better! Only
 for her.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 11:51:58 pm »
tower its very possible that too much shaft was removed for the point . most knapped heads can be thick in the base and this is a problem. what size shafts are you using. asking because when i started cutting my own 3/8th shafts i had more to work with when installing points

Offline half eye

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 12:16:35 am »
Didn't get a chance to actually see your arrow, but there is another reason that probably didn't help ya out any. Before the old guy gets hung out to dry.....let me say that cedar is great arrow-wood.....but it does have weaknesses also. Ya didn't say what angle ya hit scapula at but with an high angle striking vector, there is a great deal of lateral stress on the shaft.....it's sort of like giving a shot to a person whose squirming and the needle breaks in the muscle. The cedar shaft Possibly failed from side force and not your head attachment....especially since it broke 1-1/2" behind the head.

Been bow hunting since about 1962, shot a lot of cedar but for the past 15 years I "roll my own" but use straight grained hardwood shafts 3/8" diameter havent broke one since (not on the critter). I have never shot cane primitive arrows, but I believe they would also handle considerable side thrust. Anyways, it might not be your hafting method or material at all.....just might have been a high angle of attack. Just an old guys opinion
rich

Offline Tower

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 09:30:04 am »
The shafts are 11/32. There was a slight angle but nothing drastic. Maybe 15 deg. From broad side. When the arrow hit I knew it was high but still should have been effective. It hit hard and I remember a cracking sound when it hit. I would send a pic but I was able to repair the shaft. And have already done so. I am happy to receive advice from all . With age comes experience.