Author Topic: Hen of the woods ?  (Read 3173 times)

Offline John K

Hen of the woods ?
« on: September 20, 2010, 12:18:47 pm »
Does anyone know if these are Hen of the woods mushrooms, growing at the base of a large Oak tree.

Thanks, John

[attachment deleted by admin]
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: Hen of the woods ?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 01:18:16 pm »
Sure looks like it from here. there's one other shroom that looks similar, but it stains black if you bruise it. It's edible too, but not as good as the hen. If you cut it off, it'll usually come back every year in the same place.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline John K

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 01:41:17 pm »
Thanks Steve ! I did a google check and it sure seems like hen of the woods, if i go back up this weekend i'm going to cut it. Found 2 clumps of it.
The only way to fail is to never start !

JustinNC

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 04:04:07 pm »
Steve is that what the Cherokee call "Wishies" or something like that? If so, it's sommmmme kind of good.

When I lived in Clyde, had a friend (who was a card carrying EBC) who's grandmother was 100% Cherokee that didn't live on the reservation, but went to the reservation to pick "Wishies" or something like that. Her grandmother loved me and would send me a bag of fried wishies with my friend on Sunday afternoon, to give to me Monday morning at class. I loved those things. Said they grew on oak stumps.

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 09:45:57 pm »
I found a big nice clump or "bearded tooth" yesterday. The only thing stopping me from getting it was not knowing how to cook it :-\ Any ideas?
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 10:22:24 pm »
Justin, it may be. These are usually at the base of oak trees. Shannon, if it's one of those big pompom Heiraciums that look like a poodle's ass sticking out of a tree trunk, they're great just pulled apart and sauteed in some butter and olive oil. Cook 'em fairly low and slow to get them tender. They have a good flavor if they're fresh. I about knocked a buddy of mine out once with one of those. We were walkiing through the woods 'sang digging when I saw this big enormous tooth fungus growing about thirty feet up in a tree. It was about the size of a basketball. I went and cut a big long sapling pole and told him to catch it when I poked it out. We couldn't tell from the ground that it was about a month old, soaked slap full of water, and weighed about thirty pounds. :) I got the sapling pole up there and gouged it out, and when he caught it, it made this big "splat" sound and knocked him flat on the ground. It 'sploded when it hit him, and it was about rotten and smelled like a big soured dishrag. It took him about five minutes to get his breath going again, and he was soaked in soured dishrag juice from head to toe, had little strings of 'sploded rotten mushroom all stuck in his hair and beard, and he was mad as hell.  ;D
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 10:30:55 pm by Hillbilly »
Smoky Mountains, NC

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 10:42:50 pm »
Now that's funny ;D ;D
 This 'un ain't but about 5 feet up and about the size of a mush melon. Still snow white, so I think it's faily fresh. I'm gonna get it tomorrow evening.  I'm going to Pappys this weekend and his woods are FULL of coral fungi, mostly off whte to slightly yellow. I might collect some of that and see how it tastes. Never tried it before so I hope it don't give me the "squirts" ;D
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 12:29:48 am »
Be careful with those corals. Some of them are drastic laxatives, they'll make Black Draught look like sugar pills.... :o  ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

Offline straightarrow

• "Success or failure, neither are final"
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 07:16:36 am »
I pick these very often and I would be very comfortable saying thats them...If you get alot of these...they are a good mushroom to freeze or can. I usually soak them in salt water for a day the rinse and freeze.

Jon