Author Topic: Recurve help!!!!!  (Read 1764 times)

Offline Bearded bowyer

• I'm younger than I look.........honest!
Recurve help!!!!!
« on: May 13, 2014, 05:57:33 am »
Hi everyone.
Untill now I've just made longbows/flatbow/pyramid bows........but never a recurve!

So here we go, Ive got no Idea what to do really and lots of questions!

This is just some timber laminated together with the tips in reflex. Havnt got the faintest idea how to tiller it.
The bottom limb is the one with less flex when strung, should they be even? I've seen MANY bows of this type where the bottom limb looks just like this. Looks wrong to me.

Not sure what to do next.....

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Recurve help!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 07:26:36 am »
Scrape the entire right limb 12-15 times and it will even right out. Remember limbs are playing tug-o-war with each other when the bow is braced. The left looks to round but every stroke you take on the right limb will soften that left limb, just think tug-o-war.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Bearded bowyer

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 08:52:50 am »
Thanks Pearl
Ok she's even now......
For the tiller, is it just a case of carefully getting the entire limb working, or is most of the movement in the fades?
How much should the tips flatten out?
And........what should the brace height generally be?

sorry for all the questions

Matt

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 09:01:04 am »
5" is a good starting point to brace your bow. Yes, the entire limb needs to bend evenly, use a straight edge on the belly of the bow when its drawn out to 16-18" to see flat spots. Mark them and scrape those spots only until the gap is even from fade to tip. Leave the last 6" of each limb alone, you don't want your recurves uncurling and staying that way.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

blackhawk

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 09:58:34 am »
Pearlys giving ya good advice...if ya glued those up straight you def overstressed it..I can tell by how much set and where it took set...that one limbs fade area took a lil more there than anywhere else and more than it should've....you def pulled it to far before it was ready to pull and brace that far....tillering a recurve is no different than any other bow...don't overcomplicate it...

Offline Bearded bowyer

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 12:26:41 pm »
Your right Balckhawk
I got a bit over excited as it was just scrap wood glued together, and didn't bother with a long string first  ::) Just strung it to brace height and started to muck about with it.
Ok
so tiller the bow exactly the same as a normal bow, but just leaving the re-curves alone. and stiff handle section
I cant believe I didn't think of that....its so obvious.
Its a really rough build as I'm just experimenting on it, but I've got the limbs bending well. I will post a pic of it on the tiller tomorrow, but be warned it really isn't pretty, so no close ups  ;)

Thanks again chaps

blackhawk

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2014, 01:39:06 pm »
Glad ya learned something here ;) just make sure to apply it next time ;)

Offline Bearded bowyer

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2014, 06:29:47 am »
Just for interest sake. Its too rough to spend any more time on, so this is it as far as I can be bothered to go with it.
Going to glue up some decent timber and start another one, without getting too exicted.
slow and steady..... ;)
Feel free to say everything you think anything needs improving......about the bow  ;)
Constructive criticism is always very welcome
Thanks
Matt

Offline half eye

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2014, 08:54:48 am »
Nothing wrong with that full draw bend, the proof should be in the arrow speed and flight,
rich