Author Topic: pic's of the NC knapp-in  (Read 4409 times)

Offline piper

pic's of the NC knapp-in
« on: September 21, 2010, 08:27:24 pm »
First off THANKS to Jim and Joe for all there time and hard work they put in so we could get together an play....There knapp-in was just the right size....
first off the artifacts that Jim has gathered over the years

Some of the knappers

Rockbob

hillbilly , n2everthing , barry ,wataga, Joe Jim

and some of that old Flint River flint from my statch the back of the barn for the raffel

« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 09:15:05 pm by piper »
It's hard to ride two horses when you only have one ass

Western North Carolina

Offline toms22

Re: pic's of the NC knapp-in
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 09:39:56 pm »
Piper thank for the pictures. I had a great time Sat. That sure was a pretty point you gave away. Tom

Offline arappaho

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 12:10:33 am »
Yeah, Piper, thanks for the great pics, and thanks for joining us.
That Flint River rock didn't even stay around long enough for me to get a good look at!

I've been debating about starting another thread, but I hope you don't mind if I add some more
pics on here to yours. There were definitely some surprise visitors who showed up,

like Tom here from the Winston-Salem area who says he has only been knapping for a couple years,

and some of Toms' work.

Now that's a regular 11 inch sheet of paper under the rhyolite slab those two points are sitting on.
One more pic of the big one trying to get some light behind it.

Here's a pic of a couple of Toms' pressure flaking tools.

So I'm going WOW! And he's only been knapping 2 years! Then these 2 guys show up.
A Father and Son team. I asked their names twice, but never made it over to my notebook
to write it down, and you know what they say about that short-term memory. But I believe
these guys are from the Wilmington, NC area.

RickB and Frank, seated on the right side of this pic, are both from the Columbia, SC area
but had never met before. And that's Jim from Canton, GA. on the left.

Rick has been knapping about 3 years. He works alot with the Savannah River agate/chert,
but here's a pic of some of his obsidian points.

THE GANG!

"Honest Officer, I hit that deer with my truck and it just ended up in the bed.
I don't know how that arrer got in it's side like that!"

Hmmmmm....looks like evidence to me.

Ya kno', I see Jim all the time, so maybe that's why I didn't take a good shot of him,
but here's one from above his station, where he was giving much needed and wanted
instructions to folks all weekend long.

Our bowyer didn't make it this time because he got a call Thursday about a stand of
Osage that the bulldozers were going to move in on Monday, but Joe the potter made it.

All in All, it was a great gathering. Even though it was too dry to have any campfires the
weather was perfect and the location seemed to work well. I'm looking forward to next year.
I had to save my favorite point of the weekend for the last pic. Steve, Hillbilly, made this out
of some of the Chatham county rhyolite I brought and gifted it to me. Thanks for the point Steve,
and for all you do to make this gathering as enjoyable as it is.

Hope to see y'all next year!
Joe

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 07:28:33 am »
Looks like a blast, Wish i coulda made it!
Mililani Hawaii

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 08:39:07 am »
Me too. MAybe I will be un busy enough to ,ake it.  ::)
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 09:23:19 am »
Really hate I missed the gathering.  Had a couple friends call and ask if I could help them move, though.  They've always been willing to help at the drop of a hat when I needed it, so there was no way I could tell them no.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 01:07:52 pm »
Curt and Joe, thanks for posting the pics. I was having so much fun that I forgot to even bring the camera out. We should have gotten a pic of Wade's "World's Coolest Coffee Cup" in action.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline toms22

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 10:17:12 pm »
Thanks for the pictures Joe. Form the look on my face I was having a great time. Tom

Offline paulc

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2010, 11:00:04 am »
Chatham County rhyolite...? Savannah River agate/chert?  I live near S'nah and would love to try some local rock.  Where do I go look for it or who do I talk to about trading for some?

TIA. paulc

Offline arappaho

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 10:41:17 pm »
Hey Toms, Thanks, Good to make the connection there. :)

Paulc, I don't have any easy answers for you. That Chatham Co site is in NC and has houses sitting on it.
The Savannah River chert/agate out crops along both sides of the river for about 50 or 60 miles below Augusta.
It's not that easy to find a good place to collect mass quantities of it. You have to do alot of driving around
and talk to alot of landowners. Since Al Goodyears' "Topper Site" is on one of the outcrops just below the
power plant below Augusta, a lot of the outcrops have been checked and recorded, sometimes making it
harder to access. The stuff is also very vuggy and it helps to heat treat it before knapping. It would be a
whole lot easier to find someone with some for sale, but I can't think of a good source off hand.
I haven't been down there in over a year but here's a link to a site that used to be open to collectors, but it
was clear cut for development earlier this year and I'm not sure what the status of it is. And hunting season
is just getting started. ;) But this liink will tell you a little about the rock you're hunting.
http://www.gamineral.org/girard.htm

Sorry not more help here. You may want to try and get some of that good coral from jcinpc on this board.
Joe