Author Topic: Trouble with fiberglass backing  (Read 17381 times)

emr454

Re: Trouble with fiberglass backing
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2010, 08:32:15 pm »
Here's a couple pics:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Offline NTD

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2010, 08:34:59 pm »
Until the glue sets its a good thing to run your fingers up and down the bow squeezing out pockets and bubbles and such.  I do this with snakeskin it takes a few minutes but I find if I do that until the glue sets it turns out quite smooth.
Nate Danforth

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2010, 09:01:58 pm »
I agree with Nate. Also cut the paper closer to the outline of the bow and it will help make it lay flat. After the glue has set some but not cured I like to use a pin or sharp razor to puncture the backing to get the excess glue or air out. If you use a razor make a small slit over the limb and in the direction of the limb(not across it) to squeeze the glue or air out.  You probably won't get it completely flat. The paper wrinkles when it gets wet.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2010, 09:05:14 pm »
 If you moisten the paper it helps it lay flatter.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

emr454

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2010, 09:17:58 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

So, is it ok to continue with it the way it is?

Eric

Offline Thwackaddict

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2010, 09:34:02 pm »
Well sure! Pat i think everyone associates fg tape gives a bow fg performance but i disagree,unless your doin a full blown fg bow why bother when theres as you said"better options"JMO
Hello everyone.My name is Randy and I am addicted to THWACK!!

Southwest,VA

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2010, 11:21:45 pm »
this one could be moved back to bows and renamed since he using paper now. luck to you on your bow !

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2010, 11:53:43 pm »
Just so you know there are guys around here that use fiberglass, they just don't talk about it here. Using FG drywall tape can add a lot of unnecessary weight to the back. fabrics with a tighter weave are better and thinner is better. It seems that as this world became industrialized we fell in love with synthetics, but there are some natural materials like silk that are tougher and lighter than the synthetics. Not to mention it is easier to get it to lay smooth and applies with TB glues which are easier to clean up than FG resin. The best thing about synthetics like FG is that it made natural materials like silk cheaper. ;)
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah