Author Topic: String Pass VS True Center  (Read 3176 times)

Offline Hrothgar

Re: String Pass VS True Center
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2010, 09:26:59 pm »
A lot of good ideas. Just to throw a little more wood on the fire; we all know the english longbows often had a top limb 1 1/2" or longer than the bottom and tended to be shot with a three finger release--2 fingers below the arrow and one above, for these two factors the bottom limb would necessarily have to be stronger. On the other hand, the shorter native american bows with equal limb length were usually shot with either a primary or augmented release, which ever so slightly, would give a different distribution of stress, and center point, when the bow is drawn. I wonder how many of us today consider that when we tiller our replica native bows, and then use a three finger release when shooting?
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2010, 11:57:14 pm »
I build my bows symmetrically. The center of the bow is the center of the handle. I also like a bulbous handle with the widest part of the handle in the center. For the arrow pass I grasp the handle like I was shooting and place a pencil line at the top of my hand. That is where the arrow pass goes. I use this for stiff handle and bendy handle bows.
  For the string nocking point I go 3/8" above horizontal to start and adjust from there. I nock the arrow above the string nock.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2010, 09:42:08 am »
Hrothgar, I think the shorter the bow the more it matters where your arrow pass is. Pat, so you shoot a couple of inches above center? Whatever works. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Badger

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2010, 12:33:36 pm »
Jawge, I agre on the short bows, on short bows I set my center right in the web of my hand and shoot off the top of mand. Steve