Author Topic: advice for a hickory bow?  (Read 4516 times)

Offline blades7558

advice for a hickory bow?
« on: September 24, 2010, 04:01:15 pm »
ive got a plank of hickory and id like to make a skinny long bow about 1.5 inches wide at the most. its 1 and 3/4 thick and about 80 inches long from flat face to end (see picture) the grain doesn't run off to much either. i also was thinking of backing it with bamboo but i think the diameter is to small the actual width of the bamboo is 1.5 inches at the widest. i don't have much hickory around here so id  like to make a safe, reliable backed bow(doesn't have to be bamboo) about 50 to 60 lbs. any advice?

[attachment deleted by admin]
build em...break em...sigh....build em....

Offline blades7558

Re: advice for a hickory bow?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 04:04:50 pm »
heres the side view, the black spot doesn't mean its rotten does it?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Cacatch

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 04:35:23 pm »
I can't tell very well in the pic, but is the dark spot more brownish red or actually grey? Hickories have heartwood that is brownish-red and that would be normal, however if it is more grey, that would be bad, indicating possibly dead/diseased rotting wood. I worked with hickory once that had some sort of disease and it had the sapwood that is supposed to be white, which had a pink-ish tint to it. Some of it made a bow and some didn't. The pink sapwood evidently was somewhat bad and weaker.

CP

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 07:39:31 pm »
Like Cacatch said if your wood is diseased you might have trouble, if not you have a long planned piece of hickory, and since you are thinking of backing it, I would find a good hickory backing strip and glue on. An inch and a half isn't to narrow for a long bow. Do you plan on hunting with it? if not you can make it a bit longer and shouldn't have any problems.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline blades7558

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 10:01:29 am »
the spot is black, its not soft and doesn't smell. i think it might be something that bled into the wood as it grew or after it was cut. im not sure of if that is what it is or not. im thinking a strip of hickory or rawhide backing to back it with. yes i will be hunting with it. i think ill go a bit wider like 1and 3/4 wide just to be safe.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2010, 10:55:50 am »
i cant tell by the pics

but 1.75" at the fades is a good demension for hick
i have made several at this width,they seem to be very very stable in the hand,make weight real easy,and still feels light in the hand
not to mention the limbs look sweeeeet with the thin wide profile  ;)
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2010, 11:47:14 am »
Blades....that sure looks like Spault to me (read fungus)....And if it is Spaulted....I would not waste my time on it...unless You can scrape it till this is all gone...and then there is still the Possibility that the tentacles of the Fungus are still all over in the Wood...waiting to spread more...Spault looks great on Furniture and Picture Frames and other woodworking projects...but it sure is not worth a crap on a Bow....JMO
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline walkabout

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2010, 01:55:31 pm »
i gotta agree with el destructo, that almost looks like the same thing my last bow had and it blew. from what everyone told me the really dark, sometimes black veins in the grain are fungus, which will more than likely be the end of even the most pristine hickory.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2010, 02:11:23 pm »
My standard advice...build it, break it, build another.  Everyone needs more woodshavings in their lives.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bubby

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2010, 02:22:26 am »
If you're really worried, cut out the ? spot and splice it at the handle, and if you back with boo, 1.25" will proably work fine
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline blades7558

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2010, 09:34:03 am »
thanks, it does make sense that its a fungus, it sat outside at a friends for a while. i cut the bow to size and some of it came out of the final dimensions. when i go over it with the rasp it doesn't change character from the spault side to the good side. i'll try to make a bow out of it and if not oh well  ;D luckily that was the out side part of the main board. the rest of it is in perfect shape from what i can tell.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2010, 10:23:58 pm »
That's the spirit!  Leap headlong into it and let the chips fall where they may!  I know I speak for a lot of people on here when I say you learn more from one broken bow than a dozen that came out easy.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2010, 11:28:59 pm »
That's the spirit!    I know I speak for a lot of people on here when I say you learn more from one broken bow than a dozen that came out easy.

ya but that broken one is never as fun to shoot as that other dozen  ;D
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd