Author Topic: Fresh deer jerkey?  (Read 9677 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Fresh deer jerkey?
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2010, 12:11:30 pm »
Never heard of that but guess it couldn't hurt,Guess Jesse and me ought not cut it off fresh and smoke it over the fire anymore,but man it was good. ;) ;D ;D of course I don't use rubber gloves
to field dress and skin either, may get me some day. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2010, 10:55:03 pm »
eah? Iv tuck a bite outa raw deer flesh when cutting one up. And have made fresh jerky lots I have not got sick yet :)
Mililani Hawaii

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2010, 12:11:11 am »
hmmmmm,,,,are ,,,you sure?? ::) ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2010, 01:02:12 am »
El D, you gotta come try our Black Hills mule deer, better than corn fed whiteys any day.

As for venison tartare, I eat it several times a year.  I guess I have not read anything about muscle parasites or blood parasites in deer in this area and I happen to know I have a rather seriously cast iron stomach.  Some peopel ride motorcycles, I eat raw flesh...pick your poison, folks.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2010, 01:42:15 am »
JW....your probably safer eating the Raw Venison...than Riding a Scooter.......... ;D...as for Venison...I love my Whitetail...My Wife and I live on it primarily ....and I have eaten Colorado Elk and Mulies...and the Mulies from Colorado are a lot better than the Scrub Mulies we have here...
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2010, 11:00:42 pm »
I'm safer chugging a bottle of cyanide laced Everclear while tightrope walking across the Grand Canyon in gale force winds than riding a scooter. 

Know why motorcycles need kickstands to stay up?  Because they are "two tired".

8)

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2010, 11:45:40 pm »
                                                                                              LMAO............ ;D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Autumnbear

• My drum site
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2010, 03:49:26 pm »
I've ate medium rare elk steaks that have never been frozen and never had a problem. 2 weeks in the freezer would be sounds about right if you are concerned. I like to freeze my meat before i make jerky anyway, it makes more uniform slices.

As for buying packaged jerky seasonings, STOP or I will throw an intervention. I'm a master chef witha degree in culinary arts. I got a recipe for jerky that is fantastic. All i do is mix equal parts soy sauce and brown sugar, mix and pour over sliced meats. As for spices I prefer crushed juniper berries, ground cumin and a dash of allspice. But you don't have so use any if you don't want. Make sure to marinate for at least 24 hours. Rinse an sprinkle with black pepper. Smoke. (and ship me ......oh..... like 3/4's of it) let me know if you want any more recipes.
"WHY DON'T WE LIBERATE, THESE UNITED STATES WE'RE THE ONES WHO NEED IT THE WORST
LET THE REST OF THE WORLD HELP US FOR A CHANGE AND REBUILD AMERICA FIRST"--MERLE HAGGARD

CLEAN AND SOBER AND PROUD OF IT HOSS!!!

Cacatch

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2010, 04:43:29 pm »
Thanks to everybody for weighing in.  I desire to eat raw flesh as much (or sometimes more) than the next guy, and I always prefer my meat cooked as little as safely possible. I had always planned to make my jerkey right off the deer the same day I killed it, but then I read that package and it had the "freeze your meat" warning on it. But if so many of you guys are making your jerkey from fresh meat, then I guess I will too.

Another question, when you guys "smoke" your meat, how hot do you let it get, how long in the smoke, etc. I've never done it before but I'd like to try it.

Autumnbear, thanks for the recipe. I'll try it.

CP

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2010, 08:07:06 pm »
Hi Folks,  My public health courses were quite few years ago, but I am a DVM and therefore, theoretically, a trained meat inspector.  Venison can transmit T. gondi, tapeworms and similar parasites to people.  Most of these parasites cause little disease, though this would be little comfort to someone who does get ill.  For instance T. gondi can cause miscarriage.  A hard freeze for 48 hours will go a long way to killing most parasite cysts. 
My suggestions.... Use only fresh well handled meat, freeze 48 hours in a good deep freeze and then thaw and process into jerky.

Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2010, 08:20:23 pm »
Here's a tip that is kinda off the subject but still in the same vein...Hanging venison in warm weather.  Here in SD antelope season is often 50 degree nites and 80 degree days.  I hang a goat by the heels with one 20# bag of ice between the hams and another in the chest cavity.  Take a pair contractor sized garbage bags and pull one down over the back end, and another up to cover the front quarters.  A little duct tape to keep them in place and small slit in the bottom to allow the water to drain out.  Wrap the whole mess in wool blankets or a sleeping bag.  As long as you can keep them outa the sun, 40 lbs of ice has lasted me up to 4 days.  A little aging is better than none.  

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2010, 08:41:50 pm »
We make jerky off of fresh deer every year. Never had a problem in over 13 years. Freeze it long enough to firm it so it cuts easier.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Autumnbear

• My drum site
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2010, 12:13:04 am »
as for smoking time i like long and low, 350 at most. timing will depend on the thickness of the meat. most times 3 hours is plenty. you just want the jerky to break when bent if you don't want to refridgerate it. i like it a little chewy so i undercook it a bit and freeze it. pull out what you need that day, it thaws out in no time.
"WHY DON'T WE LIBERATE, THESE UNITED STATES WE'RE THE ONES WHO NEED IT THE WORST
LET THE REST OF THE WORLD HELP US FOR A CHANGE AND REBUILD AMERICA FIRST"--MERLE HAGGARD

CLEAN AND SOBER AND PROUD OF IT HOSS!!!

Offline Bullitt

« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2010, 09:56:59 pm »
Come On Folks! Parasites or Paranoid?  Your more likely to contract something from the local Grocer or Super Store from  the shopping cart handle!

Frozen or fresh, it's all GOOD!