Author Topic: when to flute?  (Read 2566 times)

Offline bubby

when to flute?
« on: November 16, 2010, 01:19:24 am »
Just wondering on fluting small pieces like arrowheads do ya flute early on before the tip gets to thin, or do ya punch notch the base. Trying to get deeper @ the base, thank's, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
Re: when to flute?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 12:01:28 pm »
Not sure what your asking.
 Are you wanting to make a clovis type point or thin the base of a arrow head to make hafting easy'r?
Mililani Hawaii

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 05:00:35 pm »
Jesse is the fluting machine... ;D  I am a nube compared to him but if u are asking to thin the base for hafting purposes then...otherwise u dont have to flute anything.  There are non fluted  points that are most often fluted such as the clovis.  I am not quite sure what u are asking either..LOL put up some pictures lets see what u need!!

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 06:44:27 pm »
I'm wanting to thin the base so they are easyer to haft for the most part, but I also need to know when do flute on a clovis, early in the process or later on closer to finnish, I'm pretty green at this and just learning, thank's Bub

Offline sailordad

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 08:11:42 pm »
when i am making a point thats goann get hafted
i try and thin the base as i am shaping the point from preform stage
when i am making a clovis style point,i flute right before i do the final edge work

not saying my way is the right way,but thats how i do it
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Bill Skinner

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 10:15:11 pm »
I am not sure either, if you are thinning a point, work on the tip and base from the start, get them thin as early as possible.  Once your point starts getting fairly thin, it is very easy to break them hitting on the base and the tip.  As far as fluting a Clovis, putting the flutes on the point is pretty much the last thing you do, as far as percussion is concerned, you may do some pressure flaking to line up your edges and to shape your tip.  Bill

Offline bubby

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 10:54:53 pm »
I'll try to get some pics up, have  ahard time posting pics, tryed with some bows, no luck, I e-mailed some to half-eye and he said my resolution is to high, I'll work on that and see how it goes, Bub

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 03:26:57 pm »
When i make small points like pinetrees and lost lakes thebes and such i take thinning flakes from the base when i am thinning from the edges when i am done with the percussion part i raise the edge on the base of the point to one face and grind it making one continues plat form then alternating from one side to the next i push off long deep thinning presser flakes with my ishi stick. I raise the edge to the other face and repeat. then i move on to presser flake the sides do the final shaping then i notch the point. than add serrations or bevel depending on the point type.
 On a Clovis, Folsom, cumberland or other fluted point. I do percussion paying close attain to my cross section once the percussion is done i move to my ishi stick and rune a few seres of flakes refining the cross section and doing the final shaping at the same time. Once a flawless cross section is achieved i raise the edge on the base to one face i set up the nipple aka " isolated plat form" and i eather put it on my fluted jig or i just wack it off with a billet. and repeat to flut the other side. Than i do the final edge work and refine the shape of the base.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2010, 10:37:37 pm »
can you show a pic of your "fluted jig"?