Author Topic: Simple Stick  (Read 8411 times)

Lombard

Re: Simple Stick
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2010, 10:28:15 am »
Cameroo, GMC thank you for the compliments.

Cameroo, Dry heat on dry wood, wet heat on wet wood. Nothing written in stone, just generalities. I straighten staves once I get them floor tillered, and add reflex or recurves at that time using various cauls. See photo for a general idea.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2010, 01:03:58 am »
Thanks, I get the idea.  I'm guessing that you'd probably have to exaggerate the curves in the caul beyond what you want to end up with (the bow will spring back a bit?)

Maw Squaw

« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2010, 10:49:39 am »
I like it! Earthy color.

Lombard

« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2010, 09:47:19 am »
Thanks, I get the idea.  I'm guessing that you'd probably have to exaggerate the curves in the caul beyond what you want to end up with (the bow will spring back a bit?)

You have the right idea Cameroo. Some will spring back, same thing when correcting twist, and some will pull out as you work the limbs. . Different woods seem to respond better to tempering and correcting. It is just a matter of experimentation.

Utahbowyer

« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2010, 12:58:22 am »
Great looking bow. The tiller looks fine, and at full draw, it's a beauty. It's good to see work come to fruition.

Lombard

« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2010, 09:48:37 am »
Thank you Utahbowyer, I have made several as of late, and they don't all come out as nice as this one did. Sometimes a particular piece of wood just seems to be better suited to the task than others.

Offline Aries

« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2010, 12:36:18 pm »
Awesome bow sir!     and cameroo i believe the number i have heard in the past is around 1in. past what you want your final bend to be.  I may be wrong here. I usually just wing it anyway, as long as both sides match.
"If the only tool you have is a hammer,
                   you tend to see every problem as a nail."
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2010, 01:45:44 pm »
Nice work!  I like the color and tiller!

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Lombard

« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2010, 06:47:22 pm »
Aries, and AA76 thanks  for the compliments.