Author Topic: Measuring Draw Length  (Read 13312 times)

Offline sailordad

Re: Measuring Draw Length
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2010, 11:14:51 pm »
ntd, your correct i never daid my draw was 30",only that i liked my arrows that long
my prefered draw for trad/primitive bows is 26"
which isnt even the corner of my mouth
that right where my thumb starts to touch my lip
it makes for a nice release point for every time
there for i only draw 26",i could get 28.5" if i drew to the corner of my mouth
but i hate the feeling of the sting on my face,and it affects my accuracy

eric,youve admitted that you dont know what draw length and anchor point was in paleo/primitive times
so how do tou know it wasnt thwe corner of the mouth?
it very well coud have been and then was lost over time and cam back again
i dont claim to know much,but one thing i do know is that history will historicaly repeat itself

now i think i am going to make and elb with a stiff handle,an arrow shelf and and elliptacle tiller
hows that for accurate ;)
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2010, 12:18:53 am »
If you guys would just ignore him, he would have no one to argue with.  None of his comments have anything to do with this topic anyway.  We all know that shooting a pointy stick with a string and another piece of wood is pretty primitive, regardless of how you do it... let's all just relax a bit  ::)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2010, 02:50:26 pm »
I apologize if I have offended you, Erik.  I was not "pretending" to be insulted, I was using hyperbole to highlight the humorous way you set yourself up to be the final arbiter on what belongs and does not belong on this website. 

If you feel your opinion on the matter is the position the Forum must take on the issue, I encourage you to contact  each of the Global Moderators and have them publish those standards.  Until such time, please do not assume to speak for the general body of members. 

Meanwhile, if anyone wants to use hyperbole, sarcasm, irony, satire, or even ribaldry to deflate me, feel free to do so.  I love a good laugh on myself.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline El Guapo

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2010, 10:00:44 am »

So, I shoot an ELB. At distances under 100 yards (approximately) I pull to the corner of the mouth and aim, for longer distances (clout) or for pure distance I pull 32", which is way past my ear.

Now, I'm guessing that drawing two different styles is not the best for consistency but what do most folks do ?

Offline stickbender

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2010, 02:22:18 am »

Dang somebody, kicked the ants nest!  How about just taking a broom handle, or any other stick, and an arrow, or dowel, or yard stick, and have him pull it to "HIS" anchor point, and measure it?  That is what I did.  I still like the longer arrows, but my draw length to the earlobe is only 28 inches, but that is due to my stance.  Eddie draws way past that, and his stance is different than mine. ;)  Of course he wears a plaid skirt, and shoots a pink bow too. ;D ;D ;D

Wayne

Offline bucksbuoy

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2010, 02:00:34 am »
im simply amazed that someone is making bows for people and doesnt know how to measure draw length. any respectable archery pro shop or fancy schmancy bowyer measures from the corner of the mouth to the back of the bow. typically archers who have adopted a more "primative" style lean there heads in, shortening their draw. still drawing near to the corner of the mouth. of course you can draw to your left ventricle if you want to. but drawing past your mouth is a good way to get backlash on your face. and then no one will ask you to prom.
Its only wood