Author Topic: Chasing ring on Mulberry  (Read 1918 times)

Offline rmjames

Chasing ring on Mulberry
« on: October 16, 2010, 02:49:28 pm »
When chasing a ring on a Mulberry or Osage stave that has pretty thick rings--3/16" to 1/4"--do you have to leave the back of the chosen ring pristine without nicking it at all or can you actually cut into it some and then scrape and sand smooth??
Put another way how much can you violate the back ring, if any at all, and still be OK?
Thanks, Rick

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Chasing ring on Mulberry
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 02:57:26 pm »
If your rings are as thick as you say, you should be able to sand out nicks and dings and still be in the safe zone.  I know I always end up with stuff that needs a little TLC before tillering and I have had one mulberry or osage stave let go on me.  And that one actually had a serious seperation between the growth rings when it failed so I think the tree had been subjected to some serious damage prior to me getting the stave. 

Doesn't mean, however, that you can go at ring chasing like a blind axe wielding mass murderer and think you just need to use a little extra sandpaper to salvage the work.  If you are concerned, just use the draw knife to remove the hard late wood and scrape the crumbly, crusty early wood with a scraper or knife blade. 

good luck
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Postman

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 02:33:35 pm »
I've had good luck dinging thick ringed osage without any problems. Superglue up any cracks or tearouts, and you should be fine. My favorite hunting bow has a glued up tearout from a knot I ripped whie scraping.
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 02:55:10 pm »
You got more guts than I do, Postman!  Or maybe I am too much of a perfectionist.  I'd have to take the next ring on that bow if it was me.  That's one of the things I love about Osage and Mulberry...you can get such a beautiful finish to the wood by running down to 600 grit sandpaper and then compressing the fibers by running a glass bottle neck or steel burnisher over the wood.  It's my second favorite part of the process. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 10:16:22 am »
I usuall case down to the winter [crusty] ring and take it from there with a scraper,it won't hurt to nick it a little ,but you don't want to nick it anymore than you have to. I just go slow from there,less nicks is better. I with you JW if I tear out a know ,I'm going to the next ring. I try and be very careful around them.  :)
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good