Author Topic: Squirrel rawhide as bowstring questions  (Read 11733 times)

Offline wally

Squirrel rawhide as bowstring questions
« on: October 19, 2010, 04:28:35 pm »
     I'm trying out squirrel skin as bowstring and have two soaking in lime water to free up the fur. A couple of questions arise though:
Do you cut the squirrel rawhide while it is still damp, as rawhide gets brittle when fully dry?
If I eventually get rawhide strips how do I actually make a string?
Presumably the rawhide string will have to be about 2mm thick? Or thicker? Squirrel skin is very thin though.
Do you just twist several damp strands together as a normal string?

Why was squirrel skin used as you'll need several of them to make a decent length? Why not use deer rawhide for instance, as there's more of it?

I have used bought buffalo rawhide string, but not for a bowstring. It is a good 3mm square and, while it was stiff and unpliable when dry, when wetted pulls apart very easily. Will squirrel rawhide be the same, as I would have to make sure it wasn't too wet and weak to twist into bowstring?
and hey! Let's be careful out there

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
Re: Squirrel rawhide as bowstring questions
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 05:08:37 pm »
Deer rawhide has been used a bunch for bowstrings. I have never done squirrel. Deer can be cut long enough then wetted and twisted for a string.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 06:18:46 pm »
Wally.....Squirrel Rawhide is some wonderful stuff...you don't even need to dehair it either....works great the way nature made it....once you get it dehaired....rinse it well...tack it out to dry....once dry either buy a Rawhide Lace maker from Tandy like I did....or use scissors....cut the legs off the skin so you have a nice oval shape....and start cutting your lace anywhere....and go alp the way around the skin....and keep cutting this way in one continuous cut....all the way to the center... I can normally make one string out of one Fox Squirrel hide this way....once you get the strips made....soak them in warm water till pliable...take two strips and start twisting them up tight...and evenly....do this all the way down...once it's all twisted....tie a weight to it and secure the weight so it can't untwist....and let it dry. You will be amazed how tough this hide is.
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 10:20:06 pm »
 Mike said it all. It is a lot tougher than deer rawhide.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 02:14:35 am »
I just order me a lace maker from Tandy.  I been needing/wanting one for awhile.  Now, I need to grab the .22 and go pop a tree tree rat in the head.  :)  Don't you just love this hobby/obsession.  You can gather materials and dinner at the same time.  :)
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline wally

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 02:25:36 pm »
Thanks for that valuable information El Destructo. I've got 2 squirrel skins I'm going to keep (tried egg yolk, If anyone tries this don't let it dry! You know how hard it is to get dried egg yolk off a plate, well this is a lot worse)
I'm trying the other skins for rawhide string this weekend. Tell you the truth the 2 I'm tanning don't seem strong enough to me, but we'll see.
Are your squirrels bigger than grey squirrels in England? You sometimes need two just to make a decent sandwich! Okay I'm exaggerating a bit, but I'm doobting I'd get a bowstring out of one.
I didn't realise you could leave the fur on. Doesn't that make it a bit thicker?

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 03:53:42 pm »
It may take.you both Grey to make up for our Fox Squirrels...they are quite a bit bigger than a Grey is...also another good Rawhide source for strings would  be a Pine Martin ....you got then don't you? I have made two strings with the fur on...and both of the I took electric clippers and trimmed the hair shorter...and when I twisted them up...I twisted them fur side out...I believe  they are.every bit as tough as Sinew.strings....and.a whole bunch easier to make....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline wally

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 04:10:00 pm »
Well I failed with that idea.
The squirrel skin with the fur left on looked great but neither strings were strong enough. Single stranded I could break them with my hands.
When I use 1 mm hemp strands one strand is difficult to break.
I think my mistake was that I cut the skin strips too thin (under 1/4"). The skin was also thinner than I thought more like card paper maybe .020" thou' less than 1/16". Are your squirrels thicker skinned?
I'm going to try again when I get more skins and cut it 5/16" wide and see if that works.
Another question, when I get these skins to work for me how do I join the relatively shorter lengths to make a full length string?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2010, 10:44:27 pm »
I've read that woodchuck makes pretty good bowstrings, too.  I just can't get myself to pop one of those cute little buggers.  'Sides, they aren't all that common around here.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Muleman

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2010, 10:25:38 pm »
how wide should a guy spiral cut squirrel rawhide?also when you cut and twist them up make a loop like a flemish string for the top loop?and i'm quessing use a bowyers knot for the bottom?what primitive serving should you use?should you reinforce the loops with sinew?thanks Mule

Offline wally

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2010, 05:39:57 am »
HI
   I also put this question on paleoplanet, a great website for all things primitive. I got all the help I needed on there. There's a guy jamie l burleigh from the states who is very helpful. I even got fox squirrel skins (he calls them grey squirrels although the are 2X the size of our scrawny greys in England.
I have since made two rawhide strings from them. The one I left the fur on is the greatest primitive skin I've ever seen! Gonna try them out on one of my bows next week. They are both excellent strings. Jamie has a great tutorial on loads of things and particulary squirrle bowstring. Check him out

http://onefootintothewild.blogspot.com/
He's also on face book
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 05:44:39 am by wally »

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2010, 01:39:47 pm »
Can't seem to get  the link to work...even adding the w's
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline wally

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2010, 04:32:32 pm »
Nor can I!
I don't know what is wrong. Jamie is on facebook so I'll try him there