Author Topic: Scrimshaw powder horn  (Read 21814 times)

Offline BearG

Re: Scrimshaw powder horn
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2010, 09:39:34 am »
Saw the horn Sat. morning in person. Kylie has a lot of talent.  I also thought it looked alittle dark, but still a great piece of useable art.
BearG.
I call a lot of people brother, but only count a few as family.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2010, 10:20:03 am »
The only suggestion I would add is to look at pictures of a few horns made by contemporary artists. The most stunning have very fine lines. You have a lot of artistic talent but finer lines would add to the work.

Here are a couple.

http://s881.photobucket.com/albums/ac20/Spence_2010/occasional/horns/

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2010, 03:31:09 pm »
Another place to look at artwork masquerading as powderhorns is on the website for the Contemporary Longrifle Association. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2010, 04:35:48 pm »
A friend who was very ill, didn't think he would live, gave me all his guns, accessories, powder horns and possible bags. He beat the cancer but still wanted me to keep his stuff, said it needed to used and enjoyed, a one of a kind type of friend,

Here is some of his work. He was not an artist but a blacksmith, he does have an eye for detail, again fine lines.

Offline theleatherk

• My first bow - Silk backed Osage
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2010, 09:16:27 pm »
JW - I definitely see where you're coming from! I must admit I was unwitting of how the horn would turn out when "aged" - my "teacher" just did it, without even really consulting me.. After which, I could only try to make it look acceptable... I do like the fact that I won't need to do that in the future for any customers, as, you're correct, they wouldn't look old! Museum-like or display pieces, would/could, however, which is maybe what my teacher was more going towards. For now, I'll just be happy that I had success and had fun with my first piece.

Eric - I reallllly like the pictures you linked! I should say, however, that I'm quite certain the "cross hatching" (going one way with lines, then the other way, perpendicular, across it) is incorrect. Additionally, authentic pieces would have been made with knives or any sharp object that would do the trick - plus, those men weren't artists, just wasting time. I'm going to work on my style and practices in the future, but I do appreciate the insight from all!!!!
In love with nature, the way the earth is listening to my heart beating, as I wish to fly...

Can make anything out of leather - PM me. :)
Kylie
Cincinnati, OH

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2010, 10:55:59 pm »
Scrimshaw was a very elevated form of art in the 1700's, many powderhorns of that age were beautifully scrimshawn (scrimshawed?, scrrimshed?   ???)  Most powderhorns were not made by the people that wore them either, that was done by a "horner", as in Little Jack Horner.  Horners also made horn book covers, combs, spoons, lenses in lanterns (the word lantern derives from 'lanthorn'), and a thousand other handy items that today are cast from plastic. 

And thus ends today's history lesson.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline lerxst

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2011, 03:53:52 pm »
I just wanted to share my work. I hope it doesn't offend anyone.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2011, 06:17:19 pm »
Looks great...I took no Offense...but I am sure that there will be someone that does.....even though Nudity  is only Natural
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline okiecountryboy

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2011, 02:26:33 am »
Looks great...I took no Offense...but I am sure that there will be someone that does.....even though Nudity  is only Natural

First of all Kylie..Beautiful piece of work...
El D.....I do take Offense at that....I'm offended that it's not mine! ;)
God, honor, country, bows, and guns.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2011, 02:53:52 am »
LMAO............ ;D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline sailordad

« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2011, 03:13:12 am »
well all those horns posted are incredible
i did like the first better before the aging process
but it does make it look 200+yrs old
i have been looking at these on some collector sites recently
some of the originals had beautiful artwork,as that they were intended
others you can tell were scribed by less talented individuals
but are still nice
i think the artwork was kind of a status symbol back then
the richer you were the fancier one you could afford
the working class would carve thier own
i prefer the ones that dont look so much like art work,but were truly a utilitarian piece of art
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline robby

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2011, 04:53:12 pm »
Horn work can work well with early archery as well.
One for blowing a call to your mates and one to toast them when they arrive!

robby

Offline stickbender

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2011, 05:40:43 am »

Whooo Hooooo, that does not offend at all !!  Beautiful piece of work!  Those other horns are absolutely beautiful !  Theleatherk, that is a nice horn.  Too bad your instructor got a hold of it.  Could you not scrape, or sand it down and redo it?  I have a few horns, that I have scraped down, and somewhat readied for the plug, and measuring stopper, but as goes with being a Gemini, I always have several projects in various stages, and before, I get back to finish one project, I start on another, that is not finished..... ::)  I guess you could say those projects are my uh...... Preforms...... ;D ;D
     I always love to see powder horns.  Like JW said, scrimshaw was quite an art form back then.  Even some of the home made ones were actually pretty darn nice.  Scrimshaw actually goes wayyyyyy back in time.  It wasn't the advanced art form, but art work, and religious symbols were carved in all kinds of materials, and tools.  The sailors really brought it up into the forefront, with whale teeth, and animal bones, and such.  I have seen pictures of little jewelry boxes, that were exquisitely carved, and scrimshawed out of bone, and ivory.  But horns are still my favorite.

Wayne

Offline theleatherk

• My first bow - Silk backed Osage
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2011, 10:49:49 am »
Wow, awesome horns, guys! (And no offense taken here, either.  :D )
Stickbender- I will certainly try to scrape/sand it and redo, but I'm not sure how far I'm willing to push it as it is my first piece and I don't want to redo the eagle, mostly... I know all about the preforms, by the way.  ;D

I love how this strand transformed and I'm helping a friend with her horn. Hopefully we'll get pictures up here when it's complete (though, I guess, it may be sans scrimshaw - she said she's not sure which route to go at this point; but we are building it start to finish, and that's pretty good for two girls with some tools and a lotta gumption).
In love with nature, the way the earth is listening to my heart beating, as I wish to fly...

Can make anything out of leather - PM me. :)
Kylie
Cincinnati, OH

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2011, 11:07:49 am »
Man there is some beautiful work on here ,and some very talented folks.This stuff is great,all of it. :) :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good