Author Topic: Scrimshaw powder horn  (Read 21859 times)

Offline Lee Slikkers

Re: Scrimshaw powder horn
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2011, 02:34:35 pm »
I love this stuff, anyone have any ideas/tips on where to find horns locally as opposed to commercially?

~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2011, 02:53:09 pm »
Ask around ....local farmers and ranchers usually just haul their dead cattle to a certain spot and let nature run its course....after about a week the outer shell of the horn is slipping...and you can gather them easy....or maybe a local butcher shop that still does local slaughtering....
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 02:57:16 pm by El Destructo »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2011, 03:24:32 pm »
Ask around ....local farmers and ranchers usually just haul their dead cattle to a certain spot and let nature run its course....after about a week the outer shell of the horn is slipping...and you can gather them easy....or maybe a local butcher shop that still does local slaughtering....

Cool!  Thanks El Destructo
~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline lerxst

« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2011, 10:53:34 pm »
Wow robby,  beautiful work. I am planning to make a viking Drinking horn, and those have me inspired. I love the carving work.

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2011, 12:23:35 am »

No Problem...Us Michiganders have to stick together....even if you are a TROLL.....and not a Yooper....you had no choice what side of Da Bridge you was born.... >:D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2011, 12:57:48 am »

No Problem...Us Michiganders have to stick together....even if you are a TROLL.....and not a Yooper....you had no choice what side of Da Bridge you was born.... >:D

Tis True!  Would it help to say I've shot more ducks & geese in the UP than I have down here in Holland over the year?  LOL  What area of do you "hail" from?
~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2011, 01:09:24 am »
I was born in Ishpeming...in Marquette County...grew up on the Shore of Lake Superior....and now I live in a Friggin Desert...can ya believe it.... >:(
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Timo

« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2011, 09:48:22 am »
Nice scratchin on that horn!

As for those looking for horn, check on your local veterinarian,they de horn throughout the year.just ask if they would keep a few for ya. Most the time they aren't the best for scrimshaw, but still make good horns.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2011, 05:35:41 pm »
Stickbender- I will certainly try to scrape/sand it and redo, but I'm not sure how far I'm willing to push it as it is my first piece and I don't want to redo the eagle, mostly... I know all about the preforms, by the way.  ;D

I would encourage you to leave the horn as it is.  There is such a thing as "doing it to death".  Leave it as is, it's your first, and there will be only one first!  Like bows, just grab another and start over with a new vision. 

By the way, do you do pen and ink sketches or pencil sketches?  If you do, I want to send you some photos and have you render them in p&i or pencil for me.  If they work out, I'll have you do them on a powderhorn I have ready to be scrimmed.  I have a friend that is not long for this world and I want her portrait on a horn.

Thanks,
John
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline theleatherk

• My first bow - Silk backed Osage
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2011, 08:15:56 pm »
John,

I haven't sketched in ages but am pretty good with both pen and ink and pencil. Either way, send the pics to my email (laveykm@gmail.com) and I'll get started on them! I would love to help you!

Kylie
In love with nature, the way the earth is listening to my heart beating, as I wish to fly...

Can make anything out of leather - PM me. :)
Kylie
Cincinnati, OH