Author Topic: crack question  (Read 1785 times)

Offline Frode

crack question
« on: October 20, 2010, 06:44:04 pm »
Hi all,
This is a hickory backed elm I'm working on at the moment, about 72" overall, pulling around 45-50# @ 24".  All is going well, except this crack has appeared as I remove material.  I don't think it's getting bigger (yet), and it's been flooded with superglue two or three times.  Is this a fatal flaw?  Or, being as it is in the handle region, can I glue and wrap it?  I'd hate to lose it, but I'd really hate it to go off on someone, especially me!
Thanks,
Frode

[attachment deleted by admin]
If it doesn't rap the lintel, it might not be a longbow.

Offline half eye

Re: crack question
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 07:07:59 pm »
Hey Frode,
      A check like that in a quartersawed boad should not be fatal. If it has not grown any longer I'd believe that it is in fact a "check" and not a stress fracture. Just having it on the tiller tree at draw long enough to take the photo should have made it "go-away" if it was going to......but just my opinion.
      Believe that a glued wrap wouldn't hurt if ya want to.
rich

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 07:33:21 pm »
I'd do like Rich said and wrap it in thread set in super glue and then keep going with it.  If it's in the handle area you can incorporate the thread wrap into your handle design.   :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Frode

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 11:22:48 pm »
Thank you, Gentlemen!
Rich, I can't say that it's quartersawn, don't think it is, but the original board had good grain, and I'm counting on those intertwined elm fibers, so, fingers crossed.
Josh and Rich, I shot it a bit tonight, carefully, and it still seems stable.  The grip isn't comfortable after a few shots, so I'll be building up a leather grip, which will make integrating the wrap and glue into the design that much easier.
BTW, I know this thing is over 45# because pulling it makes my eyes bulge like Ahnold's in the last part of Total Recall  :o, but dang it's a flat fast shooter!
Thanks again guys!
Frode
If it doesn't rap the lintel, it might not be a longbow.