Author Topic: Medieval Butts reconstructions / images - help  (Read 13587 times)

Rod

Re: Medieval Butts reconstructions / images - help
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2009, 05:45:21 am »
I guess that for people who were in the habit of throwing up castle earthworks, had plenty of labour available and wanted to be able to walk between targets, a few large mounds is an easy enough solution.

These would have been permanent locations and as such regularly maintained as long as they remained in use.
They would also be more likely to be shot two way, which is sensible given the amount of walking between ends.
Probably at least 12 score paces (about 180 yards, presuming an average pace of 27" to 30") from one end to the other.
You can always then move the shooting lines closer, if you must....

Rod.

Offline Dane

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2009, 07:25:00 am »
Cromm, the sod would take care of much of the deterieration from rainfall.

I see what you mean Rod, but why would you have a round butt when you wouldn't shoot from all sides, but only the sides between the two butts? As for labor, sure, they were used to building earthworks, and it was an agrarian society used to working the soil. Labor though is labor, and not cheap. Most of the mound seems wasted, aside from the small area the targets were placed at.

Is there any documentation about why the butts were round mounds of eath? Or is it just speculation?

Not meaning to be a pain, but I am very curious about why these things were round and not just straight berms. Cultural bias? Ancient tradition that predates the long bow? Some sort of architectural reason carried on into the Medieval period? Aesthetics? Engineering reasons?

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

youngbowyer

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2009, 09:08:14 am »
Here is the link I just realized it was not that clear but it's something ;)     http://www.companyofholyrood.co.uk/Horam%20Pics/Picture%20019.jpg

Offline Dane

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2009, 10:38:30 am »
It does help, though, and thanks for posting that photo. I can also include this photo in my proposal to the club, which will help get approval. I'll touch base with that organization to make sure that is okay, and they may have some insights to help me design the butts.

Dane

youngbowyer

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2009, 07:26:06 pm »
Glad i could help ;)

Tom.

Rod

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2009, 05:41:41 am »
Dane,
I think that the photo of a bloke in costume shooting at a low pile of earth is confusing the issue.

Nor does the misleading "circular, flat topped" description help.

Look at the Lutrell Psalter image, which is a contemporary picture of the real thing.
This shows the clay coated front "target" face.
Behind that it would be a substantial turfed mound.
The scale is about right. If anything the butt might be larger, rather than smaller.

Imagine something like a traditional rounded beeskep with a flat front face, over man high and faced with clay on the target side, turfed around everywhere else.

Rod.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 05:53:52 am by Rod »

Offline Dane

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2009, 07:32:45 am »
Your description makes perfect sense, Rod. Thanks!

Dane