Author Topic: Locust material prep ?  (Read 1884 times)

Offline bubby

Locust material prep ?
« on: October 29, 2010, 06:42:00 pm »
got a buddy thats getting ready to drop a locust tree, said I could have the trunk. I'ts about 24" in dia. and I was wondering if I should split the whole thing or cut the center into a cant and save that section for some quarter sawn material. Give me some opinions, thanks, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Locust material prep ?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 06:57:39 pm »
That's a mighty big locust tree. You may have to wait until it is on the ground before you make a decision. You should at least split it in half and that in itself will be a monumental task. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline jeff halfrack

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 08:54:34 pm »
  I  love  black  locust!!!  I  take the  bark and sap wood off  as soon as I  can,, and  paint  with  3 pound shelac,,,,that stuff will split to  china if you leave the  bark and  sap wood on!   this is  just  me,,,,I'm sure  you'll  get  more info,,, I'm  lucky I have  been  getting  more  bl shooters  than  splinters!!  JEFFW

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 03:45:45 pm »
Thank's guys, haven't seen the tree myself yet, going on what he said about the size of the tree, I'd rather it be 24" in circumference than dia., be alot easter to handle
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 06:52:10 pm »
Seal the ends and split into staves if you can. If not seal the ends and 1/4 it. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!