Author Topic: (Wanted) Fur Silencers  (Read 3431 times)

Offline NTD

(Wanted) Fur Silencers
« on: October 29, 2010, 01:23:02 am »
I'm just about finished up the bow I'm building for the Sons of the American Legion Fundraiser for homeless Vets.  I'd like to put some fur silencers on it.  Not picky on the type of fur.  Don't have much to trade besides my typcial goodies.  I have a few small skins that would be nice for cresting or other non bow backing projects.  I have a small boa probably 20-24" a few rattlesnakes, a longnose or two, small rattlesnakes in the 15-18" length oh and I have a few Farrier's Rasps in good condition.  If you are interested and need pics let me know.  I'll be doing a bunch of skinning this weekend and can have them up for you probably saturday night.
Nate Danforth

Offline jonathan creason

Re: (Wanted) Fur Silencers
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 09:36:34 am »
I've got some beaver.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 12:00:34 am »
Nate, if you can get some scraps of or have a sheep skin fleece it makes very good stringsilencers. Art Butner turned me on to them and I love them. They handle adverse weather batter than most too. Just cut strips(from the back side )about 1/4" wide and 3" to 4" long.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline NTD

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 12:31:21 am »
Thanks for the heads up Pat.  Thinking about it now I'm sure they do make some nice silencers.  Don't know where I can find some scraps, local Tandy has full size but...don't need that much ;).  I'll keep it in mind for the future though.  I got plenty of offers here though.  The Barter thing has yet to leave me empty handed. ;D
Nate Danforth

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 01:12:26 am »
I made some from a rabbit hide from Tandy, paid about 8 bucks for the hide and it'll make more silencers than I'll ever use...  just use a scalpel or sharp blade to cut a 5 inch strip, about 1/2 inch wide, and wrap it around the string.  Worked good for me anyway.

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 02:21:46 am »
I made some from a coyote hide that I tanned, they look and work good. as for the fleece try a saddle maker
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 10:27:20 am »
Shannon(Saw Filer) ade some from wool yarn lastr year. I think he did a build along.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC